1987 dakota questions

-

discharger1332

Reaction score
I was offered to buy a 1987 Dakota 4x4, it has the 3.9 v6, auto std. cab long bed. has about 145k miles, and seems to run fine. It is an older couple selling it and the 4x4 has not been used in quite a while, my first question is: does the 4x4 need to be used every so often or the seals dry out and it will not work? also i have heard alot of good and bad about the 3.9 motor. also it has an electronic carb and the computer controlls the timing, I know nothing about this system. any issues i should know about this system before a purchase? is a adjustable distributor available for this motor? is it possible to swap a 318 or 360 in this truck without major fab work?
Thank you for any advise and help in advance, cheers.
I currently drive a 98 ram 1500, w/ 5.2 auto. its a great truck but the only newer mopar I have ever owned, not sure about the 80's trucks.
Thanx again

My Dad had an '87. The only problem he ever had with the 4wd was the vacuum lines would get bad on the ends and the 4wd wouldn't engage. It's been awhile so I don't remember exactly how it was set up but I think the hose would crack at the nipple on the manifold on the top side and would get oil on it and swell up (and lose vacuum or simply come off) under the truck.

These aren't real powerful with the carb but his was really reliable. You must keep the choke working properly or they will flood and kill the spark plugs. Premium plugs are helpful. His had nearly 200k on it when he sold it to a friend who used it for a few years, then it was sold to a neighbor who still has it. Probably has close to 250k on it now.

It's not worth the effort to swap in a v-8 in my opinion. There isn't enough room for a mechanical fan, among other problems. (Research all the mods Shelby did in '89 to install a v-8!) The '91-up trucks had a radiator support that bowed out ( and a longer hood) and gave more clearance in front of the motor so a mechanical fan could be used.
Dallas

Schumaker (sp?) Makes a V-8 conversion motor mount kit that will save you the welded frame added by Shelby. Cooling fan will still be an issue for you.

I have the same engine in the '03 Dakota. It has over 220K on the odmeter. The only thing I have done to the engine is the water pump and timing chain and tensioner. It burns a little oil. Not much to be concerned about between changes.

The engine is the 318 minus 2 cylinders. It was a band aid fix for not having a V6. Engineers have notes it isn't the smoothest engine. And I agree. But it does work well.

I use the 4X4 abilty most every winter so far. Not every winter there is snow here on Long Island. It is easy to run through it though. The most I have driven through is 2 feet worth. My fav tire so far is the Cooper A/T3 Discoverer. No issues with the trans or the transfer case. Though you need to be stopped and pointing straight to engauge or disengage the unit. You can break it otherwise. There's a sliding colume (I think it's called) that can break on the axle. If I have the terms right.

Your older truck should be very similar. Even though there's 15-16 years between them.

How much room is I between the fan and the radiator? I have a good bit of room. A swap to a V8 shouldn't be to hard room wise. I do beileve I have the physical room to do the mechanics of it all. My computer and fuel injection is another story.

These aren't real powerful with the carb but his was really reliable. You must keep the choke working properly or they will flood and kill the spark plugs.

Trust me, the 3.9's with FI weren't anything to write home about in the power dept. either. That having been said, the '88 I had was a solid truck. Decent gas mileage too (low 20s). Mine had the 5 speed. The OP doesn't say where he's from, if it's from rust country check for general frame rot and where the front suspension mounts to the frame.

No issues with the trans or the transfer case. Though you need to be stopped and pointing straight to engauge or disengage the unit. You can break it otherwise. There's a sliding colume (I think it's called) that can break on the axle. If I have the terms right.

You need to be stopped (and in neutral if automatic) to go in/out of 4-Lo, but you can shift from 2WD to 4-Hi on the fly (ISTR they recommend below 45 mph). Never had any trouble with transfer case on mine, though I did lose 4th gear synchros along the way. Mine had over 200k when I got rid of it, guy I sold it to drove it for another 3-4 years.

Dart_Doctor has had a couple of those and they have taken a good beating from him. That first gen Dak can take a licking....

-
Back