1988 Dodge Dakota Mopar Express

-

sobiecam

College Student
Reaction score
hmm.... how should i start this off......

Okay, May of my 8th grade year (mid May 2008) I got to my fathers house and saw a new vehicle sitting near the garage. Being a gearhead I had to investigate. What I saw nearly made me make a bowel movement. Sitting there was a worn, but nice looking 1988 Dodge Dakota with a roof extender and what i thought at the time was an old hot-rodder's custom graphics. It was kick *** to me, the words on the bed-side read "MOPAR EXPRESS" I went inside to call a buddy to tell him about this oddball truck that was in my driveway.

Inside was my grandpa, who said "we got a new car". I replied, "I know!!! It's gonna be mine!". He then told me "Nah, that's your uncle's". I was instantly crushed. The truck still intrigued me though. When my dad got home he explained to me that it was mine and was going to be our project.
Unfortunately for me, the project started a year later than planned, because I was too busy playing video games that summer.

Fast forward to spring break/summer 2009. I finally decided to work on the truck, by sanding and primering the rusty roof and peeling hood. I also had to scrub the underbody and undercoat it. I also took the time to gut out the interior and basically get it down to a rolling shell.

Memorial day weekend 2009- after getting an unexpected phone call from my uncle the previous weekend, in which he gave me a fully built 360 for my truck, my father and I embarked on the restoration.

Over that summer not a whole lot got done besides a transmission being installed and more undercoating.

Over the fall and winter the truck got a restored interior from my dads old LE Dakota.

That brings us to now. The truck is tucked away in the garage. Nearly complete. All my dad and i need to do is put on a front drivers side caliper and bleed the brakes, configure the cooling system, and do the underhood electronics.

Forgot to mention that this was a special package truck, very few made, as far as i know, after some research this is the last blue truck like this left

I know this is useless with out pics, so here's your car ****:
P2150003-2.jpg

Janurary 2010, roof has since been painted black like the hood

100_0074-1.jpg

Winter after we got it

100_0075-1.jpg

the graphics package

100_0078-1.jpg

After some teardown

100_0087-1.jpg

Late nights

P2150001.jpg

Dusty engine bay

P2150008.jpg

Restored lower dash panel with added SunPro gauges

P2150009.jpg

$15, not bad! lol

P2150010.jpg

All reglued and whatnot

P2150014.jpg

Gauge cluster before detailing

P6060081.jpg

How it sits now, except the rear bumper is on

P6060084.jpg

Me and ME

Very cool truck =P~I have seen one in my life and it was red and black I think.
I should have a picture of it on this computer some where because it was a a car show not long ago.
Congrat's on a very rare and cool MoPar ride sobiecam :cheers:
Keep up the good work :happy10:

thanks memike, the trucks were built in red, black, blue and maybe silver.

Hopefully next spring or next year it will get repainted the original PC7 Twilight blue, just need to have the graphics reproduced by someone.

What a cool little truck! I appreciate the Daks. Friend has one that runs in the low 14's.Not bad for a stock 318 magnum with headers/exhaust being the only addition.

I like it. But then again I like the Daks. My niece just picked one up that needs a little work, but that's okay. She knows I'll do it for her. :-D

When you find out more about this package update us, too.

I luv the 1st gen Dakota they are a great looking truck and a lot of fun. Here's some pics of the 1987 that I was building I did the V8 swap and drove it for a couple years while trying to fix the body. I never got to finish the body & paint but still had lots of fun with it. The best part was as it sits in the pics I only had about $1200 into it including buying the truck. I did all of the fab work and install myself including the custom built oilpan and mounts I fabbed everything on my own (challenging but fun). The engine bay is tight for the engine but tight is good. I unfortunately had to let the truck go due to $$$ but still wish I had it.

ps I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging about doing the work it's just that I was doing this on a very tight budget & did have the ability to do it, I do appreciate everybody's rides equally whether self built or "bought". My Dak wasn't pretty but it sure went like hell

thanks for the pics dodgefreak, we are having some issues with the cooling system fitting...

anyways here's about everything that i know about the package
somewhere between 100 and 400 built... not really sure
available in white red black silver and blue
base model v6 long bed trucks
some were 4x4
package done by dealership in Kentucky

not sure if its the same for the other 2wd trucks but mine has factory 3.90:1 rear gears, and 4wd front brakes

thanks for the pics dodgefreak, we are having some issues with the cooling system fitting...

anyways here's about everything that i know about the package
somewhere between 100 and 400 built... not really sure
available in white red black silver and blue
base model v6 long bed trucks
some were 4x4
package done by dealership in Kentucky

not sure if its the same for the other 2wd trucks but mine has factory 3.90:1 rear gears, and 4wd front brakes

The cooling system was a bit of a challenge on mine as well. I don't know what rad you are using, but I used the original V6 rad on mine with no overheating problems at all.. I see you are using the same waterpump I used on mine, the problem I ran into was the waterpump outlet was on the opposite side to the rad inlet. The way I did mine was I had a piece of exhaust pipe bent up at a muffler shop to my measurements and just connected it with short piece of rad hose at each end to allow some flex. I used a 12 inch electric pusher fan between the grille & rad (it has to be a thin fan but they do fit, I removed the center support bracket for the grille to get clearance). I also used a coolant sensor/fan switch for a 1984 Mustang 4cyl turbo it threads right into the intake manifold and cycled the fan perfectly, I also used a relay on it as well. This sensor was very cheap and worked better than trying to remember to turn a toggle switch on/off. I know there are other fan controllers on the market but I was working with as little expense as possible. If you need any info on this build feel free to ask I'd be glad to help any way I can.

thanks for the tubing tip, we have a painless wiring system for our electric fan, we are using a referbed v6 radiator, what wires did you remove from the harness, and what tranny was in your truck? we kept our A500 OD trans

I don't mean to be an asshole but remember that this site is forabodiesonly....I have to complain when chargers and others can't figure out that they are not a-bodies...please keep this site secure with what it is susposed to represent....jmt

Sweet dakota you have got.. have fun with it. great trucks to play with.
my son has got a 87 dakota that he is working on. it used to be mine truck but i bought me a dart so i gave it to him he just loves his truck.
PA110003-1.jpg

its an 78 daktoa back half dana 60 4 link 12 point roll cage 31x18.5x15 QTP's on back 28x4.5x15 front M/T his plan is to put an Big Block in it

RCA_0005-1.jpg

PA110006.jpg

I don't mean to be an asshole but remember that this site is forabodiesonly....I have to complain when chargers and others can't figure out that they are not a-bodies...please keep this site secure with what it is susposed to represent....jmt

Your not a mod so give the kid a break. You may have also noticed it is his first vehicle and that he is very young.

At least its all mopar.

I do have an A-body as well I admire this young lad building his Dakota it is his first vehicle and it is a Mopar. I have to say that if there is a problem with a post about Dakota's then I think you should look closer at some of the other threads (funny songs, dogs, jokes, what people are eating for supper etc these are not "A-body" related). If it wasn't for a bit of variety on this site I wouldn't be here, the majority of the threads are A-body related so I personally think a little variety is good for the site. Unless you eat your A-body fenders for supper, live in your A-body, there's alot more to life than JUST A-bodies, and everybody should have the right to share what they want (with in reason of course). I don't mean to be a PR but if we can't share day to day stuff and help out the next generation of Mopar owners then this won't a site for me to be part of. Mopar or Nocar

thanks for the tubing tip, we have a painless wiring system for our electric fan, we are using a referbed v6 radiator, what wires did you remove from the harness, and what tranny was in your truck? we kept our A500 OD trans
My truck was an "87 so it was carbureted and didn't have all the extra wiring. The engine and trans (318,A904) came out of an '88 Diplomat and fit great.

Your not a mod so give the kid a break. You may have also noticed it is his first vehicle and that he is very young.

At least its all mopar.

technically, my dart is my first vehicle, this is my second and it'll be my first driving vehicle

also, as of yesterday, this truck should be in the young guns section of show cars at the Mopar Nats this year:cheers:

I want to point out that allot of people come to this site because MOST of the people here are much more level headed than at lots of the other forums. I have owned many mopars of all different body styles and currently don't own an A body. Does that make me not allowed?

Sobiecam;
Keep up the great work on the Dak. I also own one but it isn't anything special. For the most part, its a pretty good little truck though. If you ever need any tips or anything. Feel free to drop me a PM.

Also, I was looking at your pics and saw a blue full size, do you know where they got that hood?

Thanks, Jeremy

I want to point out that allot of people come to this site because MOST of the people here are much more level headed than at lots of the other forums. I have owned many mopars of all different body styles and currently don't own an A body. Does that make me not allowed?

Sobiecam;
Keep up the great work on the Dak
. I also own one but it isn't anything special. For the most part, its a pretty good little truck though. If you ever need any tips or anything. Feel free to drop me a PM.

Also, I was looking at your pics and saw a blue full size, do you know where they got that hood?

Thanks, Jeremy

Well said, Jeremy.

Yup there was no reason to pick on the poor guy just cuz it's a Dakota...

Anyways,get moving on it now!

-
Back