1990 Dodge Ram 5.9L good for donor parts???

-

bmxican

Mopar Aficionado
Reaction score
Hello, I have the chance to buy a strong running 1990 Dodge Ram 5.9L (360) for about $500 bucks. I was going to tear it up, use the rear axle for my 440 swap on my 67 Barracuda (assuming it's a 8 3/4 or strong enough). Question is, is it worth buying this truck for the parts? Really, all I'm getting it for is the axle, so just think of that... Other parts are just a plus.

THANKS A BUNCH! :D

axle.jpg

vin.jpg

That is a wide rear end and larger than a 8-3/4, which by trhe way is easy to spot because there isn't any bolts on the rear cover. It has no rear cover. The gears and everything pop out from the front of the rear.

You'll spend alot of money shortening the axles to fit an A body. Unless you have a freind do it cheap or yourself doing it for even less than a freinds price, don't bother. It would be wiser and cheaper in the long run to get a new 9-3/4 Dana from Moser or Strgae or purchase the correct 8-3/4 width rear.

The 360 wont be a magnum but the previous generation. Should?? be a roller cam block with 308 casting heads. Those heads are somewhat sought after. Check the compression and oil psi!

According to the VIN that was a 5.9 360 ld with CAL. emissions, a 46rh trans and should have 4.10 gears in it. Seems like it came opitioned nicely

That is a Dana. That must be a 3/4 ton or larger truck as I don't think they used a Dana on a 1/2 ton. Definetly a good rearend but by the time you pay to have it cut down and buy axles you'll have a fortune in it. Just the other day I saw a completely restored 8-3/4 rearend in the for sale section for $800 which I think is a better way to go. Had 3.91 gears and sure-grip IIRC.

The 360 wont be a magnum but the previous generation. Should?? be a roller cam block with 308 casting heads. Those heads are somewhat sought after. Check the compression and oil psi!

You sir are correct. He only needs a rear though.

Yes rumble. But he can recoup some of that $500 easily by selling the 360. So I thought I'd point out that asset.

i think thats the dana 60. my chart says the dana has 10 bolts and the 9 1/4 has 12. i cant see how many there are tho but with how the fill plug pops out kinda i am thinking its a dana. if so i bet you could recoup all that and maby make money by selling the dana and 360. then you would have lil parts that you could use so if i had the oportunity and the money i would do it given it is the dana. hows the body?

Mopar_axle.jpg

WOW! Thanks for all the quick replies. The truck is pretty nice. Motor has 130,000 on it. Truck has been driven in a parking lot ONLY for about the last 7 years. It's used to dump trash from one side of a facility to another. Registered non-op. Started right up, sounded strong. Auto. Body was in great shape (no dents or rust, just a busted tail light).

I would be willing to sell the 360 if I purchased the truck too... I just want to get my Barracuda closer to completion. The 440 rebuild is coming along great. I need to piece everything else together.

So from what I see, it's worth buying the truck then, yes?
Just not use the axle because it would be too much to cut it, get axles, etc... right?

Instead shop for a 8 3/4, si? Gracias.

Needaresto; I thought about that as well.

-
Back