1991 360, what am I likely to find?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

Just agreed to buy a 71K mile 1991 360 out of a D250.

What kind of compression would this thing have? I understand its possible that it will have the '308' heads and be hydraulic roller.

Any other pitfalls? Think it would make half decent horsepower with a cam, intake manifold and headers? Supposedly it leaks down real well...

Thanks for any help

Steve

Steve, you'd be limited to a milder roller cam that keeps as much cylinder pressure as possible. The compression in those wasnt really that good. But yes you can make more power with it.

You planning to use it "as is" or do a little work on the heads like milling and stuff?

Hey:

I'd like to try to put this into the Challenger without getting into the bottom end, save my nickels and build something down the road, the 318 in the Chally runs really well, but well, you know...

It worked out with the Magnum in the Dart, but I'm sure these are a whole different thing.

I thought some skinny head gaskets to build compression, maybe a valve job depending on what it looks like when I get the heads off. Any idea on what range the 308s run in CC size?

About how far should I expect the pistons to be in the hole?

Anyone know if the pistons in this are going to be cast or hyper like the magnum?

Thanks a bunch,

Steve

I've got one of those waiting to be finished. Heads are 72-73 cc's, I don't remember how deep the pistons were in the hole, If I remember they are cast pistons.. I'm replacing them with KB 107's. Do some pocket porting and a good valve job and keep the cam on the small side and I think you'll be happy with it. The 308's are very good heads but check for cracks between the valves. Hughes is a good source for the cam, tell them your combo and you'll be happy with the grind. If you're using a mechanical fuel pump tell them, the cam snout is different then the OEM FI cam. Replace the timing chain, use the chain tensioner from a 3.8 V-6, replace the oil pump with a new one, re-gasket the block (new rear main seal) new freeze out plugs and take a look at the rod and main bearings, they're probably OK. My bearings had Hecho in Mexico stamped on the back. You should be good to go!

-
Back