1991 dodge dakota v8 smog pump removal tips

-

66plyValiant

Reaction score
I'm going to list some information that saved my behind today, in hopes that it will help someone else

the 1991 dodge Dakota v8 uses an LA 318 which is the old style non magnum engine for those who may not know

they do however run a very unique serpentine belt setup specific to the 1991 model year, the magnum belts are longer and have 7 ribs they won't work

I recently purchased one of these trucks and it had a smog pump that was seized and run by all one belt, the truck was 100 miles away from home with little to go by

after some research I've found that a 83.5" belt with 6 ribs will fit to a "T"

there are quite a few cars that run this belt, one being a ford focus with 2.0 4cyl engine with Air conditioning

this is a 835k6 6pk2120 belt

Attachments

• Tensioner1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,153
  • Belt1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 697
I have a 91 with the 318. The smog pump started rattling (assuming bearings). Prior owner deleted the Cat converter already but never pinched off the lines that came off the pump itself. I removed it today and bought a ribbed pulley and put it on the tensioner. Also bought the belt however can’t figure out how to route it. Also looks like you don’t have a/c? Can you post a pic with how you routed it? I still have a/c

Interesting.... I have a 91 Dodge Ramcharger, that I bought new, it has LA 318 with PS, air, and smog pump. It does not have the serpentine system. I didn't think serpentine started till the magnum engines started in 92. I also had a 92 RC w/360, and it was regular belts also. Never had a Dakota.

Dave

Interesting.... I have a 91 Dodge Ramcharger, that I bought new, it has LA 318 with PS, air, and smog pump. It does not have the serpentine system. I didn't think serpentine started till the magnum engines started in 92. I also had a 92 RC w/360, and it was regular belts also. Never had a Dakota.

Dave
Yea it’s ones serpentine. Been reading every forum I can find and still nothing. Was thinking maybe if I went to a 92 magnum and swapped out all the pulleys it would work but sure with the way the tensioner rotates. It rotates differently from the 91 to 92 model

-
Back