1991 magnum 360

-

canadian duster

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to pick up a 360 magnum out of a 91 dodge truck. Price is right at free.

Question:

is there any problems mating this to a 1975 727 transmission?

What about a la intake. Thinking I can get the rhs heads from hughes pre drilled for la intake.

Has a lunati cam as well.

Anything else I should know.

Same bolt pattern for the Magnum as the older LA engines.The Crosswind intake is drilled for both bolt patterns. It's a air gap knockoff. I think Professional Products makes it.

IMO, the LA drilled heads are a must, as I don't think I'd like to be stuck with no choices other than the dual drilled crosswind forever.
5.9 360 mates to a 727 small block trans no problem, and there are a few things to know.
You will need a car (center sump) pan and oil pump pickup.
If the 5.9 doesn't come with it's balanced flywheel and damper you have to buy them because 5.9's are externally balanced.
Pretty much all LA timing covers and water pumps fit the 5.9.
You would have to make sure you get a mechanical fuel pump compatible cam or kit, or go with electric.
If you use the LA front your going to have to run a V belt system like the LA
If you go with the serpentine system you'll be doing some mods for the AC bracket and possibly idler pulley. (not sure there)

There's more, but this is the list of the biggest things I can think of off the top.

Good to know. I have a mod man intake already so if it a quick bolt on even better. Flex plate seems to be the concern now. Found some sites saying very hard to match convertor and flex plate. Hopefully an internally balanced stroker kit would solve this.

B&M makes a flex plate to mate the Magnum 5.9 to a neutral balanced converter if you don't have what came stock.

The EQ/RHS heads dual drilled are a nice thing. So many more LA intake options.

Good to know. I have a mod man intake already so if it a quick bolt on even better. Flex plate seems to be the concern now. Found some sites saying very hard to match convertor and flex plate. Hopefully an internally balanced stroker kit would solve this.

Not hard to match, just have to pay attention to what goes with what.
With an internal balance even the existing converter for the 727 would work. (most get new higher stall anyway if it isn't already)
With the balanced stroker kit you will have to buy new front and rear plate and balancer anyway.

You beet me to it From what I understand and there may be rare exceptions but for the most part 1992 was first year of magnum 5.2 and 1993 first year of magnum 5.9. 1991 360 did have a roller cam but did not come with magnum heads and the othere parts that make it a magnum.

2x on it not being a magnum if it's a 91. Check the block casting number on the block. If it's a 91 should be 53006921 which that casting number goes from 89-91 for the roller cam la 360s. Also the stock cam has the long snout too for mechanical fuel pump so the timing cover should work but since you mentioned it has a lunati cam I'd check to see if it's a 91 block as well as it having a roller cam in it or not. Also the stock heads have the la bolt pattern. I'm currently running a 91 360 re-ringed with reground cam with stock heads in my non mopar 1960 Rambler Super and I'd have to say it's a great engine and pulls that land barge pretty dam good!!

Last edited:
Run the block number,do your research,before buying. ANY HYDRAULIC ROLLER la / Magnum block,is worthwhile...Magnums are preferred, for a stable basis,for a " top end build"... A complete ,machine shop job? Go old school LA,...Speed Pro hypereutectic pistons,good rod bolts,a decent balance wouldn't hurt(This post,is dedicated to the LA optional....)

Much better!
Anything else I should know.
It will bolt right up with correct mounts and elongating one hole on flex plate. I would get harness, injection, pcm, starter etc...run the injection! You might want to checkout engine before rebuilding, they can look great even with over 125K on them.

Much better!

It will bolt right up with correct mounts and elongating one hole on flex plate. I would get harness, injection, pcm, starter etc...run the injection! You might want to checkout engine before rebuilding, they can look great even with over 125K on them.

Yep, mine had 90k with real obvious cross hatching in the bores, and the lower end bearings look almost brand new.
If an LA looked like this motor did I would have guessed it had 500 miles on it.
Even the timing chain was nice and tight still but I replaced it with a double roller anyway.

-
Back