1996 Ram 1500 5.9 4x4 surging?

-

68GTconvert

Reaction score
1996 Ram 1500 5.9 4x4 is surging when stopped at lights. I just had the crank sensor done and it starts and runs fine just surges. I heard it may be the intake gasket? I am about to off this truck, I am getting frustrated. It has 102k miles and everything works but I keep having problems. Any ideas?

Could also just need the parameters for the IAC reset. very common on these trucks.

Could also just need the parameters for the IAC reset. very common on these trucks.

also common on theses years if your in a salt state for the IAC pin on the computer to corrode; good place to start is there and if its all okay have it reprogrammed if need be

There is a gasket on the bottom of the intake, I've had that gasket start to separate and and leak vacuum and cause a surge.

if it started surging after the crank sensor it could be the problem. Haven't had good luck with after market sensors for mopars.

I got the oem sensor and it was dying at stop lights before the sensor was replaced and died on the freeway once too.

TPS [throttle position sensor] went on mine idled weird especially when you came to a stop idle would be high then real low finally even out only to start it all over again changed it out and all's well still got to clean/replace the IAC idles ok but just want to clean it up.

TPS [throttle position sensor] went on mine idled weird especially when you came to a stop idle would be high then real low finally even out only to start it all over again changed it out and all's well still got to clean/replace the IAC idles ok but just want to clean it up.

I think I will change the TPS also. Fairly cheap anyways. Thanks.

Pretty sure this truck has an EGR valve. I always start with them. They cause these symptoms also.

I have 1997 5.9 ram and mine was doing the same thing....Turned out the throttle body needed to be taking apart and cleaned....It was just dirty....working great since and that was 40,000 miles ago

Drove it today for an hour and it didn't surge and ran fine. I am going to still replace the parts I ordered hopefully it works.

OK so back to square one I ordered a TPS and an IAC brand new from Rock Auto. First thing it did was throw a check engine light and start surging badly also popping etc. I checked the code and it was the TPS sensor. I took it back off and put the old back on and cleared the code. The new TPS broke the little teeth off after installing it and it was brand new. Now it has the new IAC but now it is idling at like 1100 rpm in neutral. Runs fine but is idling too high? I should have just left it alone it was running pretty good. Any suggestions? O2 sensor?

When you replaced IAC did you adjust length of pintle to match old one? Also from what I recall after installing you have to drive the vehicle over either 35 or 45 mph which allows the iac to "step" and adjust. If the iac is forced to move by hand it messes them up. Mine came with directions on adjusting before installation. The rest was in my factory manual for my 99 durango. Also I have read on line of issues with the front o2 sensor heat circuit messing up and causing strange issues. If you replace it get an ntk, they manufacture the oem also.

When you replaced IAC did you adjust length of pintle to match old one? Also from what I recall after installing you have to drive the vehicle over either 35 or 45 mph which allows the iac to "step" and adjust. If the iac is forced to move by hand it messes them up. Mine came with directions on adjusting before installation. The rest was in my factory manual for my 99 durango.

No I didn't adjust the IAC. I will try that. Is there a screw on it the adjust the length?

I don't have the manual here right now but if I recall the plastic sleeve below the pintle slides into the body which releases the pintle to move. If you can wait til I get home I will confirm with my manual and let you know tomorrow the process. Don't wanna steer you wrong.

I don't have the manual here right now but if I recall the plastic sleeve below the pintle slides into the body which releases the pintle to move. If you can wait til I get home I will confirm with my manual and let you know tomorrow the process. Don't wanna steer you wrong.

Hey that would be great. Thanks!

The factory service manual doesn't show any adjustment for the 99 Durango. However the IAC is the same part number for your 96 truck as long as it is a 5.2 or 5.9. These instructions came with the Standard Motor Products AC68.

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 120
This may work better.

Attachments

• IMG_0456-2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 88
-
Back