1997 Dodge Ram Headers (Outside The Box)

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
So im getting close to HAVING to do the exhaust on the ram, damn cat is starting to act up! So here is what im going to do, i have to replace everything from the muffler forward anyways so i figure make some changes to get more ponies and mpg out of it.

1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with 5.9L gasser
Currently:
Manifolds
stock 2" down pipes
Factory dead cat
stock 2.5" muffler
stock 2.5" exh pipe

Proposed system
Headers (the problem, see below)
2.25" down pipes
flowmaster 2.25 to 3" y pipe
aftermarket cat or delete
Flowmaster super 50 3"/3" (have it)
3" dumping in stock location

There are plenty of headers available for the ram but i run into a problem, they are either 1.5" primary with 2, 2.5 or 3" collector or 1 3/4" primary with 2.5/3" collectors. What i think the mag would like based off the 1.65 exhaust valve i think a 1 5/8" primary would be optimal, and a 2.5" collector.

So with that i expanded my search to truck headers with LA motors and found these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-5902hkr

i just dont know if they will fit! Has anyone ran headers from the older truck on a new truck?

So the nit pickniness is between 1.5 and 1.625 primary pipes. Geez dude. On a daily driver? Are you serious?

So the nit pickniness is between 1.5 and 1.625 primary pipes. Geez dude. On a daily driver? Are you serious?

well i cant find long tubes in the 1.5 either. but yea i guess for low rpm its probably not even worth worrying about.

-
Back