1998 360 from a ram Help

-

darepairman

Reaction score
Hi fellas, what I have is a 1998 360 from a ram, with fuel injection. Now what I want out of this motor is a nice street and strip runner, it will end up with a tunnel ram with 2-500 CFM hollys cause that set up just looks so damn cool. What could you fellas suggest for a build as far as pistons and cam. I would like to start off with a .040 bore, but the stock pistons are concaved and I guess it is a 9:1 compression, do I need concaved pistons? I am planning on keeping the stock heads with a 2.02 set of valves installed. This motor will start off in a 72 Dart but will end up in a 1952 Pontiac Chieftan that is going Mopar as far as drive train ( it belongs to my son). so what kind of advice am I going to get from the great minds here.
Thanks Ed

dont know of a tunnel ram that fits the magnum heads....going to need to redrill intake bolts on heads ....

Well first road block, will earlier 360 heads fit that block? I have a set of 1977 heads, looks like you have 360 experiance

Much cheaper just to get a LA motor. I think they might make an adapter that goes from a 4bbl intake to dual quad mount..... I believe I've seen that before. if you can find one, then you could use your magnum

Well I guess I will scrap the magnum idea Ill use it somewhere else and get a LA block. So back on track what do you think about the original topic?

The LA heads need to be oiled and the Magnum block lacks the oil passage through the block to feed the oil passage in the LA head.

Suck a engine set up, dual quads always looks cool and even more so in old iron IMO.
Answer me these questions as to help direct you in the build.

How heavy is the Poncho?
What is the goal performance wise?
What rear gear & tire size is to be run?
Is the engine going to stay a 360 or is there a striker in the future of the engine?
What tunnel ram do you have or intend to use? Availability could be an issue depending on the make of the tunnel ram.

Hey Rob, I think I am going to put this away for now till I can get a cheap 360 LA long block, and repost this thread. My son picked up that magnum so I thought I would use it. I see it is not quite what I am used to. and its a wieand tunnel and the carbs are on their way(bought here).
But what do you think of this carb set up on a 318 with 360 heads milled .035 and a Engle cam with .480 lift and like 294 duration, same on both int. and exh. bored .030 with cromemoly rings, Mallory 6 ignition with a mechanical advance distributer, Electric fuel pump, 1 5/8" headers. 727 transmission with 2800 stall converter, 8.75 sg 3:55 gears
would that be too much carburetor?
I would like to go like hell but still drive fairly decent on the street.

Dual quads on the street will suck. You can keep the magnum block and put a set of LA intake pattern EQ heads on them for about the price of "fixing" a set of La heads and they flow a ton better. Put a regrind roller in it for $199 and leave the lower end stock. It will work good assuming you can get the duel quads tuned and synced but dont expect it to work well on the street. The vacuum signal on dual quads will be weak even with a small cam making idle to 2500 fairly flat much like a open plenum intake. For best daily driver, injection is way to go.

IMO, everybody wants dual carbs until they have them...and everybody should have them once just so they know, just dont cut a hole in the hood for the first 30 days so you can change your mind and not buy a new hood.

Thanks, I have read an old thread on the duel quads on this sight, and I plan to build a 360 LA with this set up, but the magnum will go with the fuel injection set up that came with it and go in the 52 Chieftan. right now I am running the 318 with a 650 holly dp and an Edelbrock duel plain intake and the way the engine is built as described above in the 72 Dart.
I will build the 360, but in time. I guess I was just thinking out loud on the forum. I really appreciate the input I have received on this question. I need to do a lot of planning and research before I pull the trigger in this project. But I stand by my original statement that they just look so cool, and my Dart is a 70s/80s build.
Thanks Ed

Tunnel ram? Street?
Possible, but probably no good.

Street? EFI Magnum, dead stock, is your safest bet. Build it for RV use for big street fun.

might get a better response if you lay off the offensive cussing........

but i may have to disagree with some of the guys, i ran a tunnel ram on the street and absolutely loved it, that particular engine had excellent street manners!

Much cheaper just to get a LA motor. I think they might make an adapter that goes from a 4bbl intake to dual quad mount..... I believe I've seen that before. if you can find one, then you could use your magnum
It's easier just to redrill the heads. It cost me like $80 to go to the old LA pattern alongside the Magnum pattern. I ran an LA intake for a while but use a Magnum one now. My understanding is even the cheap EQs outflow stock Magnums, so that's not a bad upgrade either.

Thanks, I have read an old thread on the duel quads on this sight, and I plan to build a 360 LA with this set up, but the magnum will go with the fuel injection set up that came with it and go in the 52 Chieftan. right now I am running the 318 with a 650 holly dp and an Edelbrock duel plain intake and the way the engine is built as described above in the 72 Dart.
I will build the 360, but in time. I guess I was just thinking out loud on the forum. I really appreciate the input I have received on this question. I need to do a lot of planning and research before I pull the trigger in this project. But I stand by my original statement that they just look so Goddamn cool, and my Dart is a 70s/80s build.
Thanks Ed
That's really most of what they're about. Most often a single carb intake is better.

Roller cam.

might get a better response if you lay off the offensive cussing........

but i may have to disagree with some of the guys, i ran a tunnel ram on the street and absolutely loved it, that particular engine had excellent street manners!

Didn't mean to offend sir

But what do you think of this carb set up on a 318 with 360 heads milled .035 and a Engle cam with .480 lift and like 294 duration, same on both int. and exh. bored .030 with cromemoly rings, Mallory 6 ignition with a mechanical advance distributer, Electric fuel pump, 1 5/8" headers. 727 transmission with 2800 stall converter, 8.75 sg 3:55 gears
would that be too much carburetor?
I would like to go like hell but still drive fairly decent on the street.

This is messed up. All messed up.
Well not quite; the 3.55s will work.

I think the point is you can't just throw a 1000 cfm's, 292 duration at a 318 and want it to run like the dickens while behaving nicely on the street. But who knows..... you may like it! Giv'er a try and let us know how she rolls.....

I think the point is you can't just throw a 1000 cfm's, 292 duration at a 318 and want it to run like the dickens while behaving nicely on the street. But who knows..... you may like it! Giv'er a try and let us know how she rolls.....

Exactly!

If you absolutely have to have a tunnelram,on the street, you will need to look at the big picture. What were they designed to do, did they do it well, and how can you adapt that to an engine that is going to spend most of it's life operating in conditions that are not even close to what the T-ram was designed for.
Think about how you are gonna be driving that teener.
I do agree on one thing tho,T-rams do look killer.
And whenever I see one, and it's running a killer big cam, I gotta give respect to the tuner.

Maybe I can help a little.
A teener can barely pull one 500 at the best of times.
You want to build an engine with a 292 that will barely pull 10 inches vacuum at idle. Your 500s will see that as, " oh my gosh, he's deep into the peddle, what shall I do?"So the first problem is the powervalve. Then, because of the low idle vacuum,and the dual idle circuits,and the fact that you will a need progressive linkage,(so that you won't get a sore neck,or spill your coffee,or actually take on passengers, etc) but both carbs have to be engaged at idle to prevent one half of the engine running lean, well let's just say this; if you can make it idle decent at 10 inches, and 750rpm(like a typical 4bbl), you are a pretty good tuner.
Next is putting it in gear. Let's say you did get it to idle nice,at 750. Now you want to drive it, so you put it into gear; It's a good thing you have a 2800TC....But the idle drops anyway, cuz that's what automatics do.Now you have a new issue to deal with.The vacuum drops, and hopefully the power valve stays closed; so you only have to retune the idle, for the new lower rpm.You finally figure out it's almost hopeless so you start dinking with timing, and pretty soon you got a nice idle out of her.Let's move on.
Next is tip-in.You step on the gas, and pow, it stalls. What happened? You guessed it; that huge plenum is full of air with very little fuel in it, and your engine did not appreciate you trying to dump it into the cylinders all at once. You are gonna need some serious pump-shot. But here-in lies a problem.You are at this time operating on just one carb, and one pump, and it's on the end of the plenum, and at least 2 cylinders are gonna be very lean, with another 2 cylinders being a little less than very lean, and all the rest will still be lean, cuz one pump just can't do it! So you are gonna want to bring the second carb on line. That will work. But now with 4 venturies operating,every time you step on the pedal, it's like a switch that goes from idle to "let's boogie", and it's hard to drive it at low speed, and of course the idle is all messed up again.....So you put it back to progressive,and you sit down and think it over. And then it comes to you; "how about dinking around with the float level? Maybe it will be easier for the transfers to get going, with a slightly higher float level?" Well that seems like a really good idea, so you try it, and try it and try it, and pretty soon you got it sorta working, to the point that the engine will take some pedal, and you can more than just idle it around the block.It actually seems to be working....so you lay into it a bit.And the chit starts happening again.
Well by now you get the picture. T-rams, big cams and street,really should not appear in the same paragraph.
But if you really want that T-ram, back up the bus.
Put a little cam into a little motor that idles at 700or less, and at least 15inches, and run it non-progressive. It will run pretty good, and; It will be killer,in looks at least.
Now I must add that it can be made to run on a 360. It's just very hard with a very low idle vacuum.

If I,had to have,a T-ram;
I would put it on a 360Magnum.With maybe a 220*@050 or less, roller-cam. I would get/have made, a cam with extremely fast and high-lift lobes. And put springs of death on the valves, and a rev-limiter, and 1.6 arms.Since the cam will be done around 5500,and it ain't gonna be track motor,I would not spend a ton of money on porting the Magnum heads.And I would set the rev-limiter to whatever the cam guy told me to.I would be prepared to run premium when in WOT, and to that end, would pump the compressions up, to nearly as high as I dare. And I would run file-fit plasma-moly rings or gapless.And with 4 float bowls, I would run a mechanical fuel pump. Any old street ignition will be fine, so long as it can reliably fire the Accel square SuperCoil.But tuning will still not be easy.
That's what I would do.
An engine like this will not do that well at the races, but it will be killer. And not just looks. It will be frightening on the street. Absolutely scary, cuz, Unless you tubbed that Dart, the best you can put back there is 275s. You will have a really,really,........really, hard time keeping the back, in the back.
Buy extra insurance.....

There's a guy on here very happy with his tunnel ram 273.
Not all tunnel rams are equal you need one design with the street in mind.
The 292 cam would definitely be way over cam.
To pull it off your gonna need to gear it right for the car weight. Heavy would need deep gears, light could get away with more moderate gears.

-
Back