1999 360 question

-

easyrider

65 droptop
Reaction score
I may have a chance to buy a 99 360 engine. I don't want to run the efi. Can i just replace the intake with a 4 barrel intake from a 340 (which i already have) and add an electronic distributor? What else will i need to do?

Tom

Not without drilling the heads to accept the intake. A better choice would be the Magnum Air Gap.

Well, I found a 1984 360 with a four barrel manifold. Supposed to be a crate engine with few miles on it???? Who knows about that. Question is, will the water pump, p/s brackets from my 273 fit on this engine? I have brackets from Classic Air for A/C and alternator.

Tom

99 360 carb to EFI to 84 360.... lol. Both motors will work, but I agree with rustyratrod, if both motors are about equal in mileage and price, the magnum (99) is the way to go. The intake has been addressed, you will need to get the fuel to the carb (there are a couple of options), then you could put your 273 timing chain cover, water pump and brackets on the magnum. Oh, if both 360's are truck engines and you are planning to put them in a car, you will need a car 360 oil pan, and oil pickup tube.

Google LKQ. They are a national salvage yard chain. They will have one. You can get a high mileage one with a 6 month warranty for under 500 bucks, including the complete intake, exhaust and ignition. Sell all that stuff to defer some cost. That's what I did with my little 5.0 Ford motor. I found it for 300.

Well, I'm still looking, trying to decide. I've found a 2002 5.9 from a Dakota RT that only has 40K on it. It comes with computer and wiring harness. I talked to the guys at Hot Wire and they tell me I should really run the 46RE with this engine instead of using the 904. I'm sure that I'll have to cut the floor (which I didn't want to do).

Seems I've read somewhere that the motor mounts on the Dakota are different. Maybe someone can clear that up for me.

Tom

Well, I'm still looking, trying to decide. I've found a 2002 5.9 from a Dakota RT that only has 40K on it. It comes with computer and wiring harness. I talked to the guys at Hot Wire and they tell me I should really run the 46RE with this engine instead of using the 904. I'm sure that I'll have to cut the floor (which I didn't want to do).

Seems I've read somewhere that the motor mounts on the Dakota are different. Maybe someone can clear that up for me.

Tom

Any clarification on this? I just picked up a running driving (no reverse) 2000 Durango and was planning on using the motor, but have also read alot about the recomendation to use the 46RE trans with the motor. I also dont want to chop up my car...

Well I purchased the 2002 5.9 from a Dakota with only 40,000 miles. My plans are to use the EFI. I have talked to Randy at Buchillon Engineering and Chris at Hot Wire. I think I have the information I need. I don't want to cut my floor, so I'm using my 904 transmission. Sense the 904 isn't computer controlled, I'll need a computer from a truck with a manual transmission. NAPA part # XTP98595 or XTP98439. I'll use my torque converter from my 904. I'll have to enlarge one hole in the flex plate so the comverter will bolt up. I'll also have to notch the bell housing to miss the Tone Ring sensor. I'll send my computer and harness to Hot Wire and they will send back a harness that has only the things I need.
I'm excited about this swap. This should wake this Dart up!!

Attachments

• IMG_1260 (Custom).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1258 (Custom).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 137
I would have gotten the Magnum.

You haven't posted back,grab that Magnum!!!!. Ask for a short block stock 360 rebuilt, you encounter garbage. A Magnum 360 : Roller cam/lighter than LA reciprocal weight / thinner ring pack. (= longevity and horsepower). Price one of these ,against a similar" done right " 360 LA. For a budget,it's hard to beat. Valve train & heads,are budget. Ask the right people.....

be carefull, check the convertor pilot to the new crank bore. nice ride by the way.

-
Back