1999 Dakota starting issues?

-

dusterdood

The Duster Guy
Reaction score
This is a 3.9 V6, and a 5 speed if it matters. Will run and randomly stall. When it stalls, it won't start again for a while. It cranks strongly. Gets a good amount of fuel (you can smell it), and once when this happened, my brother was there, so he pulled a plug, and I cranked it, and it was sparking, but wouldn't start. I bought all new tune up stuff, and just yesterday a new coil. Still nothing. Let me know what you guys think?

First thing I would do is check the fault codes and go from there. Did you notice if it's overheating when it stalls? Sounds like some sort of temp sensor fault.

It doesn't over heat. I don't have a scanner, so when this happened, I had AAA tow it into a corner garage, and they found no codes. I put all the new tune up stuff on in my driveway. Where is the temp sensor located? I'll just put one in in case.

LOL, I have no clue on those newer dodge trucks. Wish I could be of more help. just read this though, may be some help.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/nostart.html

Also try disconnecting the MAP sensor, which can cause a car to not start without setting any fault codes! If you disconnect it completely and properly, the car may start, in which case it is definitely the MAP sensor.

I had the problem, I disconnected the map sensor. It turned over alot, then started. These are about $100. Should I get one? That's pricey to just guess at. My brother has one from a 5.2 magnum, maybe I'll try this other used one first.

Part stores like Autozone can get trouble / fault codes from it for you.
None of those little sensors are worth their weight in poop but to start guessing and buying will get tooooo costly.

The computer monitors the output of all the sensors so if one is out of whack enough to keep the engine from running it will through a code. Certainly don't just start thoughing parts at it.

Based on not having any codes and having a spark I would suspect fuel. The injectors need any wear from 35-50 psi of pressure to work. Just because you can smell gas does not mean you are getting enough gas for the engine to run. Beg borrow or steal a fuel pressure gauge and get a proper fuel pressure measurement. When you first turn the key to the run position the fuel pump will run for a couple of seconds which will get the pressure up to where it needs to be. If the computer doesn't detect the engine running within that time period it will shut the fuel pump off. A quick test you could spray some starting fluid down the the throttle body. If it trys to start or does and dies then you can be pretty sure it's a fuel delivery problem.

If this doesn't work I would get my hands on a scan tool and check again for codes.

-
Back