1st. Broken Part !

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
The last time I had the car out she started running terribly. Not to mention the temperature started to climb. Tonight I pulled it apart and found out #1 intake pushrod harpooned it's matching rocker. *BAM* Nice clean hole in the end. Pushrod came through unscathed. And wouldn't you know it, Tom had an old cylinder head in the back of his truck.... with the rocker shafts. I swapped in the un punctured rocker, did a minor carb tweak and she was running great. I'm hoping the piece of rocker that was pushed out is in the pan minding it's own bussiness. Then when I shut her down I watched the cooling fan spin for almost a minute after the car was shut off. Me & Tom almost pissed ourselves....Tomorrow we buy a new clutch for the fan. :angry7:

I'm hoping to make my car club's meeting this coming Sunday afternoon. Oh please...Oh please....

sorry to hear that John! But at least you diagnosed it and fixed it...once again, glad to hear the car is running great.

Well you just had to know that when you declared it the "End" that was a risk. lol Im just glad that you got it taken care of for the most part and can finish it up with a new fan clutch the next couple days. Ill help by keeping my fingers crossed for you to make it to your clubs meeting on Sunday. I remember how you were a little disappointed when you came up a hair short on that before. Good Luck!!!!

Did you figure out why it happened?

They were a used set of stock rockers I installed after learning Crane Roller Rockers don't work with Edelbrock heads. I knew they were used with unknown mileage, but now I'm shopping for a new set so I don't have this happening again soon. Plus the high lift cam and stiff valve springs helped kill it too I bet....

Hey, at least the cam didn't wipe out. Again....:-D

we made 90 1/4 mile passes with a crane rockered edelbrock head 340 last year...why do u think the crane rockers wont work?

if you go with anything, get the comp magnums roller rockers that are ductile iron. Nice pieces.

John, I had the same thing happen to my 360 just after I rebuilt it about 16 years ago. I had to lay a spankin' on a 460 Ferd pickup, and by the time I made it home it was running and sounding like sheit. Popped the valve cover, spotted the pushrod through the rocker, pulled another rocker from a spare head, and it's still in there and was still running strong last time I drove it. MP 484 Purple cam.

-
Back