1st gear vibration

-

68 Coronet RT

68 GTS # 508 in Registry
Reaction score
Posting for a buddy, 67 Barracuda 383 4 speed has a bad vibration taking off from a dead stop and only at low RPM shift into 2nd with higher RPM and it starts to go away 3rd and 4th no vibration. Had the tranny rebuilt and clutch, pressure plate and bearing are all new. Vibration is so bad it shakes the dash. Anyone had a similar issue?

Last edited:
Posting for a buddy, 67 Barracuda 383 4 speed has a bad vibration taking off from a dead stop and only at low RPM shift into 2nd with higher RPM and it starts to go away 3rd and 4th no vibration. Had the tranny rebuilt and clutch, pressure plate and bearing are all new. Vibration is so bad it shakes the dash. Anyone had a similar issue?

Be sure and don’t overlook U joints. (Special attention to caps and attaching hardware)

I had that releasing the clutch on a 72 Demon in the 80's. My dad pulled it up against a telephone pole and burnt the clutch a bit. Completely went away. He was an old school mechanic who owned a gas station in the 50's and 60's.

That’s what a bad clutch does. Sounds like he bought some high clamp load, sintered bronze or ceramic dong beater clutch.

If he’s not beating on it it’s damn hard to beat a B&B cover at 2400 pounds and no assist with a good organic disc.

No reason to run anything else.

Did it do this before the clutch and trans were worked over?
Yes that's why he had the tranny rebuilt, while the tranny was out he put everything new in. After the installation he took it for a ride, it was perfect until he got almost 50 miles on it then the vibration returned. No vibration at all until 50 miles

this sounds exactly like a problem i had when i was chasing a vibration at launch/engagement and low initial rpm. i had *thought* the flywheel was fine and dandy because everything else was so waxed ***. turns out it was well out of spec and ate up a fresh clutch or two before my lizard brain caught on.

but not after a rebuild and throwing a bunch of parts at it, because of course...

-
Back