1st Gen Barracuda ?

-
I've got three '64s. All of them have turn signals on with headlights. They all originated with the long tail on the a for the "Barracuda' fender emblem. When one was dmaged in 1970 I ordered the replacement and the only thing available was the emblem with the short tail, so I would guess that a lot of long tail emblems were replaced with the shorter one if there was ever any fender or emblem repair. The divider boards all have the long side extension. All had the Valiant emblem on the rear panel. 64 had a washer fluid bag and 65 had a plastic container if I remeber correctly.

Any chance you can post what days your cars were built on and what plants they were built at?

One major difference between the 64-5 and the 66 is the bumper. In 64 and 65 the bumper is much thinner and there is a valence underneath both the front and back. In 66 the bumper is much wider and no valence front or back, and the front turn signals are in the bumper. Not to mention the complete grill redesign and one year only front fenders. Also, the 64 and 65 rocker mouldings are much much thinner, and the bump out of the lower body line on the rear quarters is much more pronounced and rounder. The dash is completely different, and in 64 and 65 the tach option was an add on feature to the left of the steering wheel, in 66 it is incorporated into the dash.

There was no 4 barrel option in 64, no Formula S package, and in fact the car wasn't even ready for production at the start of the model year. The only engine choice was a 6 or the 273 2 barrel which weighed in at a hot 185HP. Visually the 64 and 65 are very similar, but you can definetly tell a 66. I love them all and have had at least one from every year, but I like the 66's best. Now, start rounding up those in your area quick before I get there and snatch em all up!!!LOL!!! Geof

One major difference between the 64-5 and the 66 is the bumper. In 64 and 65 the bumper is much thinner and there is a valence underneath both the front and back. In 66 the bumper is much wider and no valence front or back, and the front turn signals are in the bumper. Not to mention the complete grill redesign and one year only front fenders. Also, the 64 and 65 rocker mouldings are much much thinner, and the bump out of the lower body line on the rear quarters is much more pronounced and rounder. The dash is completely different, and in 64 and 65 the tach option was an add on feature to the left of the steering wheel, in 66 it is incorporated into the dash.

There was no 4 barrel option in 64, no Formula S package, and in fact the car wasn't even ready for production at the start of the model year. The only engine choice was a 6 or the 273 2 barrel which weighed in at a hot 185HP. Visually the 64 and 65 are very similar, but you can definetly tell a 66. I love them all and have had at least one from every year, but I like the 66's best. Now, start rounding up those in your area quick before I get there and snatch em all up!!!LOL!!! Geof

No tach option that I know of for 64. The push-button auto trans shifter fits in the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

It would be cool if we could get some stats on when cars were produced

My 64 Barracuda was built July 8, 1964, Hamtramck
My 65 Signet was built June 9, 1965, St. Louis

I did find an interesting piece of info in my parts catalog, dated July 63 for model year 1964, it shows a Barracuda hood and the deminsions of the stripe, I have not seen any 64 striped cars before. The order code list doesn't show stripes but the 65 sales code does

The one good "Badge" on my '64 has the elongated A @ the end, but the other one was kinda missing, well, I did find the trailing "uda" inside behind the right front fender @ the bottom, but the "Barrac" is missing. Was going to try and locate a long trailing a one later this year(well, anytime this year) so if anyone has one they want to part with..........

Now, mine is a true 1964, but evidently, someone along the line liked the fish symbol just below the back of the rear window and swapped the Valiant symbol out for the fish.

FF

The one good "Badge" on my '64 has the elongated A @ the end, but the other one was kinda missing, well, I did find the trailing "uda" inside behind the right front fender @ the bottom, but the "Barrac" is missing. Was going to try and locate a long trailing a one later this year(well, anytime this year) so if anyone has one they want to part with..........

Now, mine is a true 1964, but evidently, someone along the line liked the fish symbol just below the back of the rear window and swapped the Valiant symbol out for the fish.

FF

I didn't know there were any "False 1964 Barracudas" or do we call them Mustangs?? blahahahahahahaha

It would be cool if we could get some stats on when cars were produced

My 64 Barracuda was built July 8, 1964, Hamtramck
My 65 Signet was built June 9, 1965, St. Louis

I don't have the fender tag for the blown car but I know it was a later 65 production, it had the spring loaded trunk prop which came out in mid 65 It was originally a 273 4spd built in Hamtramck.

I have the fender tag on my stock 65 but I need to get it and decode it, it is a 273 auto built in St. Louis also a later production.

I have the vin numbers for 3 of the other 65 Barracuda's and one of the Valiant's I had but no fender tags.

1) 65 Barracuda slant six 4spd built in Hamtramck. (early production)
2) 65 Barracuda 273 auto built in Hamtramck. (early production)
3) 65 Barracuda 273 4spd built in St. Louis. (early production)
4) 65 Valiant 100 4dr slant six auto built in St. Louis.

if anyone has one they want to part with..........

FF

Just so you know, the right and left emblems are different, they look the same but the studs are in a different location.

I almost used the 66 window trim on mine, it does look pretty cool with the Barracuda instead of the Plymouth emblem.

I didn't know there were any "False 1964 Barracudas" or do we call them Mustangs?? blahahahahahahaha

That's funny.

I love it when Mustang guys say the Barracuda was copying the Mustang and then seeing their face when I let them know the Barracuda came out first.

I don't have the fender tag for the blown car but I know it was a later 65 production, it had the spring loaded trunk prop which came out in mid 65 It was originally a 273 4spd built in Hamtramck.

I have the fender tag on my stock 65 but I need to get it and decode it, it is a 273 auto built in St. Louis also a later production.

I have the vin numbers for 3 of the other 65 Barracuda's and one of the Valiant's I had but no fender tags.

1) 65 Barracuda slant six 4spd built in Hamtramck. (early production)
2) 65 Barracuda 273 auto built in Hamtramck. (early production)
3) 65 Barracuda 273 4spd built in St. Louis. (early production)
4) 65 Valiant 100 4dr slant six auto built in St. Louis.

Just so you know, the right and left emblems are different, they look the same but the studs are in a different location.

I almost used the 66 window trim on mine, it does look pretty cool with the Barracuda instead of the Plymouth emblem.

That's funny.

I love it when Mustang guys say the Barracuda was copying the Mustang and then seeing their face when I let them know the Barracuda came out first.

How do you know what constitutes an early production? Just curious I never came across anything that would call it that...

The first Barracuda emblems on the fenders where much bigger and they were 5 pin vice later model "mine" and 65's had just the 3.

God I love the history....

How do you know what constitutes an early production? Just curious I never came across anything that would call it that...

The first Barracuda emblems on the fenders where much bigger and they were 5 pin vice later model "mine" and 65's had just the 3.

God I love the history....

You can tell the early 65 from the later 65 by the trunk prop, even the inner structure of the deck lids are different.

The early 65 had the ratchet type trunk prop like the 64, there was the extra bracket welded to the right side of the deck lid and the bracket welded to the trunk jam.

The later 65 had the spring loaded truck prop on the left side which had a hook on both ends, the top hook went into a hole in the deck lid bracing while the bottom had a hook that went into the trunk jam below the seal.

I was told they stopped using the ratchet type prop because the dealers had people coming in with bent and twisted deck lids because they forget to lift it before they try and close the trunk.

The long tail 1964 Barracuda emblems are part number 2524888 and 2524889. They have three studs that use nuts and a fourth with a little spring metal clip that goes on the small stud which catches the fender.

I just discovered something tonight. I went and got the original fender emblems from my 64 to get the part numbers I submitted previously. I also got the ones I have for the 65. The ones for the 64 are 2524888and 2524889. I've got five of the ones for the '65 including the one I purchased in 1970 when the brush on a car wash busted mine. They all have part number 2524888 on the bottom part of the B.

You can see in the photo below the difference. The top and bottom ones are for '64 and the middle two are '65.
The other photo shows the backs. If you look close you can see the little clip on the tail pin on the bottom one. That clip is missing from the top one.
Also note the difference in pin placement on the right and left '64 emblems.

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

I don't beleive that all '64 Barracudas had the Valiant emblem. My car was built in June, and shipped from Hamtramck on 6/29/64. This car does not have the Valiant emblem, and I have seen others that don't have it.

The 65 looks exactly the same except for the Valiant emblem.

512.jpg

511.jpg

1964 dash
513.jpg

badcuda1.jpg

135055338_tp.jpg

IM000175.JPG

Great Thread! I've had at least 30 '64-6 Barracudas over the years. Of the 3 '64's I had only one had the trunk panel "Valiant" emblem. All 3 had the trunk lid ratchet and the narrow fiberboard panel that was attached to the middle of the interstructure. The real early '65's also had this setup. Late '65's had the sping loaded prop with the fiberboard panel. '66 did away with the panel (in fact it doesn't even have the holes to attach it).
All the hundreds (maybe thousands?) of '64 models I've had and seen have had bolt-on wiper arms from the factory. I have seen some that were swapped out with the '65 setup.
The early (aug and sept build dates) '66 Barracudas had the "V" grille emblem and rear deck panel. The grille emblem is unique and not even in the '66 factory parts manual but the rear panel was the same as the '64 and '65.
I've pulled dozens of 273 engines apart and all the 4bbl. versions were fully Commando (or Charger) equipped regardless if they came out of a Commando Barracuda, Formula S, Dart, or plain Valiant.
Another curious change between the '65 and '66 models was the trim on top of the quarter panel. In '64 and '65 it was stainless....in '66 they went to aluminum. Also the glass logo changed from the arrow to the pentastar over those years. The door lock cylinders were different all three years also. '64 and '65 would interchange but '66 would not. '64's all had 13" wheels. A front sway bar was first used in '65...etc. Lots of changes were made those years both inside and out even though they looked similar.
But we all know that the '66 was the fastest and best looking, Right? :)

Mark

nowIf I could only find one of those ratchet style trunk supports

FF

I've probably got a few sitting around, I may even still have the bracket I cut off the deck lid I used on the Blown car. I went with a gas charged conversion from a guy down in Texas.

So where was the Valiant emblem located? When we got my 65 in 1993 there was the valiant emblem below the truck lid on the driver side. We took it out becasue we thought it wasnt supposed to be there. Then we forgot to fill the holes. Maybe i need to find out when my car was produced. All casting dates (motor, trans) are in 64

I'm not positive but I dont think my late production (going by trunk prop info...) '65 has anything on the deck lid or tail panel, but it does have the Valiant emblem in the rear window medallion. It's been done once tho... and not perfectly.

The Valiant emblem was on the tail panel below the deck lid and was only on the 64 model because in 64, the Barracuda was actually a Valiant with a "Barracuda package" The Barracuda became it's own model in 65.

There are a lot of 64's around that don't have the emblem because most people thought they were not suppose to be there and removed them, this is why that emblem is so uncommon to find on a Barracuda.

511-2.jpg

Yes, back in the days when I had my body shop anyone who brought in a 64 Barracuda that needed work on the back end wanted the Valannt emblem removed because in those days Valiant was perceived as an economy car and Barracuda was supposed to be more of a muscle car. Wish I had saved those emblems........

was never sure about the "V" emblem on 66 models the one I grew up with had the valiant "V" not the fish but it was a base model, 9" drums, slant 6, 3 on the tree, manual everything,bought as a leftover in 67. so I thought the V8 or deluxe cars got the fish emblem

But we all know that the '66 was the fastest and best looking, Right? RIGHT!!!

I've got one also if your other sources can't come up with it.
Thanks, Mark

the easiest way to tell the 64-65's apart from the 66's is the driver. The 66's are usually much better looking than the 64-65's.

-
Back