1st timers---Helps for you guy's just starting a resto

-

swifter

Reaction score
Hey guy's how bout we give some tips to the newbie's here about things we learned about the hard way,So we can maybe save them some headaches or $$$$$$$$$$$----Steve

Here is my first BIG one I screwed up on:::: Fuel line and system--IF your going to ever up-date or build your motor,purchase a quality fuel pump and SIZE you lines bigger than you think you will ever need!!!! Spend the money up front and NEVER have to re-plumb or up date your pump--Ask me how I know??????? wasted lot's of money on pump's and lines!!!!!! Steve

Make a plan that you can afford and try and stick to it.

Do you research on what works best, ask knowledgable people for advise

My plan was a nice driver 440 auto. Had almost everything to do it, motor, K member, trans, headers, 8 3/4 with 3.91 lots of engine bling

Got a 71 340 Demon parts car with short block, went small block, and spent a damn lot more money

If paying for work, see what they can do before giving them you stuff.

Some of the parts are very hard to come by or replace when they SCREW them up

BE REALISTIC, want a nice paint job, COST MONEY

was checking out HOT ROD nic Mac catalog today, seen this sign and liked it

GOOD WORK AIN'T CHEAP, CHEAP WORK AIN'T GOOD!

Good advise to live by when restoring a car

Yes had some very good work done at a fair price, but don't let price be the deciding factor

I am doing basically my first full resto. so I need all the help I can get.I am doing all the work myself with some helpfrom my Uncle .I do not trust anyone else and I don't have the money if I did trust anyone.LOL

Jim

I can think of many things I have learn doing many resto's over the years but one of the most important thing to do is tag and bag everything! Take tons of pictures and then take more. with today's cameras you don't have to worry about film so snap away. I have done around 10 full resto's and 20 partials and can't stress these two items enough.. By the time you get around to cleaning and plating, and or re-painting you will not remember where every part goes...

Attachments

• restoration2 045.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 228
So far so good--I hope everyone will give a little info to help other members out--Steve

..most fishing lures are designed to catch the fisherman.
..purple air cleaners,purple oil,purple brake fluid,and the newest flavor of the month that everyone recommends have their place i suppose but...
..for your engine, listen to an experienced builder,pick components that fit well together with particular attention to the cam based on your goal.
..there is a lot of experience on this site..good luck!

We are in the process of rebuilding a 73 charger for my son he picked it up for a real good price,however the previous owner dissembled the entire car did not label anything and most of the hardware was missing. I have spent the last year sorting thru parts and doing sheetmetal replacement i have just got to finish body work in the last few months. I have done quite a few rebuilds but never to this extent besides that i have never done body work or sheet metal fabrication much less welding but i have learned a lot and by no means an expert just enough to be dangerous. Listen to these fellas and gals there are a lot of experanced folks here they will be glad to steer you in the right direction.

I bought original shop manuals and parts books for my Polara and Duster from Faxon.com. They are a great help in disassembly. They also help me to know what is correct for the cars.

I can not believe we do not have a paint and bodywork forum...I guess that would fall under body,interior,and trim forum.

Lots of mopars interchange with other mopars, but there can be some subtle differences. Make sure to dbl check parts to make sure they will work for you. I have bought some stuff and its been a long time before actually getting to the point of needing them and they arent correct for what I needed them for. Ask lots of questions!

Believe it or not, I have two fuel lines on my Signet, 3/8" and 1/2" next to each other for convenience of switching for when I change carburetion or motors between driving the streets or racing. It made sense to me when I first done it almost 30 years ago and they are still in place.

Ok what is the best way to clean and paint the inside of your doors? I am thinking hand sand and brush paint.I can not really think of any other way....

Jim

All good! I sat down in my garage recliner a couple of years ago to try to finally decide which engine to put in my Dart. Legal pad in hand I listed the complete/partial engines on hand. Had them ALL except for a 340 and a Hemi. Still agonizing on that decision! Best advice to anyone, especially myself, is to plan your work and work your plan.

Also. Do the body/chassis work first. Drop in a POS motor for shakedown. Having a little fun/seat time on saturday afternoon seems to inspire working on the ultimate engine in your spare time. Never had any inspiration to run home and slather on some more bondo.

-
Back