2-3 shift hesitation ?

-

fastback383

Reaction score
Well I got the new 383 in the car, along with the trans I rebuilt. The motor runs awesome, tons of power, much more power than the 400, 12's here I come !. I was a little concerned about the trans, being the first one I've done. Well I put new clutches , a new front band a 5.0 kickdown lever. Also a cheetah manual valve body. The 1 -2 shift is great , fast and firm , very impressive. The 2-3 shift however seems to have some troubles. When I pull the selector to 3rd, it seems like it drags before it shifts. It almost seems like you are shifting it to first, the car kind of brakes , like the back brakes are on then it takes off into 3rd and then all is well. ( I know this is not happening it's just how it feels ) It drives fine when it is in 3rd gear , just the inital shift into it is a problem. It is like 2nd is not releasing quick enough ? Any guesses ? :?:fastback 383.

It sure does sound like 2nd to 3rd is overlapping. I had that problem on a A 518 I did once except it was 1st to 2nd gear. To confirm mine was overlapping on my A518 I jacked the truck up and started it out in manual low and held the gas steady at 25 mph and shifted into 2nd. The wheels came to a complete stop then it kicked into 2nd. That was severe overlap.
I've heard controversial things about using the 5.0 kickdown lever. Some say the 4.2 is the best to use. I'm getting ready to rebuid my 727 for my Cuda and bought the 5.0 lever for it then read several places that the 5.0 lever don't release fast enough and can cause the overlap. I'm very curious as to what Chris will say about it because if he says that I'm off looking for a 4.2 lever.

Good luck with it. Tracy

I had a bad valvebody before that was very sluggish going from 2nd to 3rd. I was worried it was my rebuild of my tranny, first one I have done.
Swapped valvebodies and all was ok.
I have never run the 5.0 lever.
I'm interested in what Chriss will say about this

fastback383 said:
Well I got the new 383 in the car, along with the trans I rebuilt. The motor runs awesome, tons of power, much more power than the 400, 12's here I come !. I was a little concerned about the trans, being the first one I've done. Well I put new clutches , a new front band a 5.0 kickdown lever. Also a cheetah manual valve body. The 1 -2 shift is great , fast and firm , very impressive. The 2-3 shift however seems to have some troubles. When I pull the selector to 3rd, it seems like it drags before it shifts. It almost seems like you are shifting it to first, the car kind of brakes , like the back brakes are on then it takes off into 3rd and then all is well. ( I know this is not happening it's just how it feels ) It drives fine when it is in 3rd gear , just the inital shift into it is a problem. It is like 2nd is not releasing quick enough ? Any guesses ? :?:fastback 383.

Hi Dave,

Well congrats on your first transmission build-up! :mrgreen:

How many turns out did you go on the front band adjustment?

I know there are people that use the 5.0 lever and have no problems, but I use the 3.8 or the 4.2 lever to avoid overlap. What size converter do you have? If it is a smaller one, you can change out the apply lever without removing the transmission. It only involves getting creative with some 1/4" extensions, and a 1/4" wobble adaptor.

If swapping the lever, and re-adjusting the band doesn't fix your problem, something else is keeping the 2nd gear band on longer than it should be.

HTH's :salut:

The convertor is a older TCI 3500 I believe. On the band adjustment , I did what the instructions said. Torque to 72 in.lbs. and back off 1 1/2 turns . Should I back off the band another 1/2 turn and try that ? What else could it be ? Thanks Chris.

Dave.

-
Back