2 318s 68 barracuda rebuild

-

roylira

Reaction score
im the second owner of a grandma's car hah, with edlebrock intake and 550 carb tti headers. i have two 318s with one set of factory heads what should i do to them, this is going to be my first rebuild i wanna get it right. more info the better.

Totally depends on what you plan to do with the car. Street,strip, show??

mostly street with some strip show and fun times you know. it came with a single exhaust. i got 2 1/2 pipes with turbo muffler. im getting a tranny upgrade kit from mancinis. and a msd set up. i wanna get a camshaft too. and ive never done this stuff before.

What do you have to spend? And how many miles are on each 318? any of them low miles? Just a warning, until you pop the engine apart you don't know what your getting into. You could pop it apart and get away with a crank polish and a re ring and bearing. or you might need to do lots of machine work. machine work is expensive.

To put things into perspective, I rebuilt a 318 shortblock and put 360 heads on it that i already had. I spent about $500 bucks including rings, all bearings, all gaskets, 2 cans of engine paint, 2 oil changes, 2 gallons unmixed antifreeze. pretty much everything to do a rebuild and drive it for 500 miles. I never set foot in the machine shop.

The other day I was with a friend at the machine shop and he was getting cylinders bored, they told him 35 bucks each cylinder to bore.

Hope this helps a bit to get an idea of what things cost. This is all costs within this year so they are very accurate.

What do you have to spend? And how many miles are on each 318? any of them low miles? Just a warning, until you pop the engine apart you don't know what your getting into. You could pop it apart and get away with a crank polish and a re ring and bearing. or you might need to do lots of machine work. machine work is expensive.

To put things into perspective, I rebuilt a 318 shortblock and put 360 heads on it that i already had. I spent about $500 bucks including rings, all bearings, all gaskets, 2 cans of engine paint, 2 oil changes, 2 gallons unmixed antifreeze. pretty much everything to do a rebuild and drive it for 500 miles. I never set foot in the machine shop.

The other day I was with a friend at the machine shop and he was getting cylinders bored, they told him 35 bucks each cylinder to bore.

Hope this helps a bit to get an idea of what things cost. This is all costs within this year so they are very accurate.

cool car.
yea it helps i got more than 500 for sure. i have one short block and a complete. im going to bore the short. and i heard the complete only has 85k cause it came out of a old ladies 68 barracuda. i heard to changed out the "freeze plugs" i think theyre called. how much is it for a tranny fix up. im getting the up grade kit for 200 on mancinis and i might know buddy that can do it. but im probably going to have a mech do it.

Can't say much on the trans, I have never messed with an automatic.

The freeze plugs was also included in my 500 buck build i mentioned.

They are VERY easy to change. Hit the old ones off to one side so they spin in the hole. Pull them out with pliers. You could lightly sand the holes clean. Put some sealer on the plugs and hammer them in with a socket that fits the hole nicely. But a word of caution if the socket your pounding them in with fits really tight once you hammer it in you wont be able to get it out.

There is also a plug behind the cam. that one you pound out from the inside. the new one is usualy an expanding plug. put some sealer on it then hit the middle untill it is compressed some.

Building a shortblock is easy as hell as long as you take your time and have the right tools. Use plastigauge on your bearings it is worth the money to make sure everything is rite.

Also there is some 400 HP 318 magazine builds out there.
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_318_small_block_build/
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0409_318_engine_build/viewall.html

-
Back