2 questions 1 on a gauge and other is suspention.

-

63VALIANT*KISS

Reaction score
im srry i cant spell great but here.

i was talking to my gf's dad and he was telling me his saab had a gauge that told him how well hes doing on gas mileage and how steady hes keeping the pedal at.

im wondering what do u have to do to have one of these guages in my car ?

second question i have is my dad has a stock 63 valiant parts car and it has great shape leaf springs on it are the leafs on that car good enough to hold my wagon? the leafs on the parts car still has factory looking paint on them.

to answer that first question, i dont think you will be able to have one of those gauges. that is all built into the computer and is a designed system...only new car stuff right there, and not worth all the work if you could even get it to work. lol

several models of '60's Chrysler cars had what amounted to a mileage gauge, it was called a vacuum gauge, you could basically know how you were doing mileage wise by what kind of vacuum you were drawing. as far as I know, you used to be able to buy aftermarket vacuum gauges. not quite as neat as the modern setups but it works. just think of it as a way to brush up on your science and math skills.

several models of '60's Chrysler cars had what amounted to a mileage gauge, it was called a vacuum gauge, you could basically know how you were doing mileage wise by what kind of vacuum you were drawing. as far as I know, you used to be able to buy aftermarket vacuum gauges. not quite as neat as the modern setups but it works. just think of it as a way to brush up on your science and math skills.

Yep, a vacuum guage will do the same thing, more vacuum=more mileage.
Simple.
On the leaf springs, if yours are sagged out a lot, it wouldn't hurt to try the good ones. I bet the springs are the same between the 2 cars anyway.
The best way to find out is to compare them side by side and count the amount of leafs and their position on the stack.
If they are the same, take them out and compare them side by side and that will tell you the condition.
More arch or curve=better support and a higher back end of your car. You can also add leafs and tailor the ride height of your car.
I hope this helps.
Tom.

there are milage gauges you can get from summit, all it requires is a narrow band o2 sensor to be installed in the exhaust pipe as close to the engine as possible, the narrow bands have only one wire and go to the negative on the gauge the postive gets fed from the gauges fuse on fuse pannel

hmmmmm alright ill look into that and the whole leaf spring thing mine just popped one leaf on 1 side o may just rad clamp it but or i use the better ones

Use the springs off the parts car if yours are sagging or broken. Easy swap.

Here is the Performance Indicator from my 66 Barracuda. Its a vacuum gauge that shows where your at under power, idle and economy. I use it to help with the fuel mileage, if I get into the power section too much I know I need to find a gas station soon! The Formula S models had a tach instead of the PI.

PI2.jpg

Also many Mopar (mostly Chrysler 300) in the min 60's had this gauge mounted on the center consul like a tach.

The wagon got a heavy duty leaf spring. Not quite the same as a sedan/6 unless HD was ordered for it. But it is the same as the later V8 springs in sedans.

What are you trying to accomplish with the rear spring change?

P.S. Both GlowShift and ProSport sell some nice inexpensive gages that will suit what you are looking for.
You want a vacuum gage and a A/F ratio gage, preferably wide-band. The narrow-band gage works but only tells you if you are rich, lean or norm. The wide-band will tell you your actual ratio.

Better springs mine seperated a leaf and the parts car is there im just wondering if they work or is the weight of my car going to break them?

That'll be fine as long as you're not wanting it to be a corner carver.
I don't like the air shocks handling qualities but they are just fine for cruisin around.

Well they havnt given me any problems so far i think i drive it pretty easy going but soimetimes like all ill throw a lil gas down its throat

Yeah, the other springs should work great then. I think it has got to help the handling qualities havin your shocks plumbed individually.

Yeah, it forces you to really have to have sway bar and makes the bar work harder than it should have to.

-
Back