2 similar A-bodies...which would YOU build and why?

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Howdy:

I thought I'd post a topic that doesn't exactly have a certain answer...more along the lines of opinion gathering for the fun of it.

I have 2 A-bodies of the same style, different years. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. I will describe each without writing a book and you tell me why you "picked" one over the other and why. I'll attempt to keep the descriptions neutral. I like them both and will probably build both if I'm able.

Car #1
1971 Plymouth Scamp. B2 blue out, B2/B7 in. Had a black vinyl top. SL6/TF, 9" manual drums all around. 7.25 rear. PS, AC. Light package...no other options. 2-speed wipers, foot washer. Good glass. No rot ANYWHERE. Drivetrain is gone. RR quarter has tree damage. Hinges and strikers need work. Split bench interior without center armrest. Needs complete interior rehab. 2 build sheets and tag. Cluster is nice and in good shape. Paint is poor. Both bumpers are tweaked and the rear valance is rough.

Car #2
1975 Dart Swinger. F8 green out, F6/F8 in. Had a green vinyl top. SL6/TF, BBP manual discs. 8-1/4 rear with 3.23 SG. PS, AC, light package, insulation package, fuel minder. 3-speed wipers, electric washer. Good glass. trunk floor is out, so are the front pans. Underneath otherwise good. No body damage. SL6 runs and drives. Split bench interior, no center armrest. Needs complete interior rehab. No build sheet, tag is there. Cluster is nearly unusable. Paint is nice all over. Both BIG bumpers are nice.

Now you see why this is an intriguing choice. Similar, but different. The newer car needs less and is better equipped. The older car is more solid but damaged and incomplete. We aren't talking about a sit and home and write checks until it's done restoration. More along the lines of use whats there.

LOL...have fun.

Last edited:
I hate green so Id buy the blue one. color changes are a lot of work.

Just my opinion, andI know it will get alot of guys Goat, but Neither car. Sell them both and get a Muscle car to start with. Neither of these will be worth what you put into it.

If you already have them both, use the bbp disc's and 8.25 from the Dart and put them in the Scamp. Hell, you can swap the whole driveline over, since it runs already.

Or as Al said, sell them both and buy one that suits you better.

The Scamp. Because while beak cars have grown on me, not that much, yet.

If you already have them both, use the bbp disc's and 8.25 from the Dart and put them in the Scamp. Hell, you can swap the whole driveline over, since it runs already.

Or as Al said, sell them both and buy one that suits you better.
Second the vote for moving the drivetrain and brakes to the 71…my opinion is simply based on my dislike of the beak front on the 73+ cars…maybe transplant the front from the 71 to the 75 and part out the rest?

"Which would I build, and why?"
Ok you asked;
Neither cuz:
I'm a HotRodder addicted to jumping on the throttle, and letting the power fly. 255s (which is the biggest tire that will fit into the factory tubs), are not gonna ever handle the power I'm gonna build.

However;
If I was gonna build a cruiser with one of those two choices, then,
hands down, the Scampy, assuming she is a 2-door,
cuz;
1) it doesn't have a beak.
2) it has one of the nicest looking Mopar front-ends ever, and
3) the nicest looking small-tub rear-end of any A-body, and
4) If a 2-door; it's a 108wb car, so ranks among the lightest of the 67 to 76 cars.
5) and it will accept any SBM powertrain.
6) I already have everything it needs to be all that she can be, and the exact powertrain to do it justice.
7) On a budget, I would just steal the powertrain (assuming it ain't half bad), and the running gear; including the suspension, steering, and brakes, from the 75 car.
BTW
I don't hate beak cars;
they're fine on Pontiacs. Mopar just lost her roots for a few years there.
and, they just never looked anything but unmanly if you get my drift.
and, it's hard to take them seriously no matter how tough the engine sounds.

Last edited:
Really? I guess somebody shouldda told me because I had 275 60 15s on the back of my 71 Dart.

Really? I guess you should show the rest of us how, on a budget, you did that.
And don't say airshocks; clown.

I don't understand how, even when the OP asks for an opinion, you are still ready to brag on your car, whilst busting my balls.
Op asked for an Opinion.

I got an idea; Go start your own thread called;
what does it take to install 275/60-15s on a 71 Scamp; on a budget.

Last edited:
Remember, I already own them and mentioned that I like them both, so there's no issue with suiting me. I don't "need" to build two similar cars, but I have a lot more money in one versus the other. If I were to turn one into a parts car then the other needs to be built into something pretty much EVERYBODY likes. That's why the solicitation of opinions.

Remember, I already own them and mentioned that I like them both, so there's no issue with suiting me. I don't "need" to build two similar cars, but I have a lot more money in one versus the other. If I were to turn one into a parts car then the other needs to be built into something pretty much EVERYBODY likes. That's why the solicitation of opinions.
Scamp over the Beaker.

I built a big-tub car cuz inside the factory tubs, even lowered;
1) I could install 325/50-15s, for straight-line work, and/or
2) as a DD she accepts 295/50-15s, with no cornering restrictions.
I like the looks of those wide tires back there; among other things. .

I'd build the Scamp, leave the interior gutted and just put in a black bench seat. Install V8 k-frame, 360 4-bbl engine, scattershield, 4-speed with Hurst ram Rod shifter, 3.23 SG 8-3/4 with Moser 4.5 bolt circle rear axles, large ball joint upper control arms with B-body 10" drums front, steel wheels ( 15") steel wheels with small hub caps. Interior gets a tach and mechanical oil pressure gauge, cowl gets fuel pressure gauge. Manual steering and brakes, lift-off glass hood with 6-pac scoop, larger fuel lines with electric pump only. See if it'll run as quick as my old Dart.
P.S. If you decide not to do the Scamp, I'll give you my address so you can get it out of your way.:)

I 'd build the Scamp with a 512 CI engine and twist that turkey into a pretzel. :D
I'd do the same with the beak car.

OP REALLY needs to say what he's after with the build- that will decide which car to go with.
Cruiser? The Dart, hands down. Floor pans and a trunk isn't too bad to do, and it's already got good running gear.
Street brawler? The Scamp. With no drivetrain, you're already halfway there, and you can throw some tubs in it while you're dealing with the damaged quarter.
But, since the OP's question is "Which would I build?", I'm going to deviate from the masses (I've been called a deviant more times than I care to admit) and say I'd build the Dart. I actually don't mind the beakers. Are they my favorite? No. But neither is the Scamp. At heart I'm all about '67-'69 Darts, but the beaker has possibilities... down in the weeds, radiused/flared wheelwells with obscenely wide meats mounted on Minilite wheels, front and rear sway bars the size of my forearms, tear out the ratty interior and just leave it bare (or maybe sheet aluminum?), rear window retention straps, G3 and six speed with boom tubes, the whole ball of wax to end up with a '70s/'80s IMSA flavored build. And flat black.
Told you I was weird.

Howdy:

I thought I'd post a topic that doesn't exactly have a certain answer...more along the lines of opinion gathering for the fun of it.

I have 2 A-bodies of the same style, different years. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. I will describe each without writing a book and you tell me why you "picked" one over the other and why. I'll attempt to keep the descriptions neutral. I like them both and will probably build both if I'm able.

Car #1
1971 Plymouth Scamp. B2 blue out, B2/B7 in. Had a black vinyl top. SL6/TF, 9" manual drums all around. 7.25 rear. PS, AC. Light package...no other options. 2-speed wipers, foot washer. Good glass. No rot ANYWHERE. Drivetrain is gone. RR quarter has tree damage. Hinges and strikers need work. Split bench interior without center armrest. Needs complete interior rehab. 2 build sheets and tag. Cluster is nice and in good shape. Paint is poor. Both bumpers are tweaked and the rear valance is rough.

Car #2
1975 Dart Swinger. F8 green out, F6/F8 in. Had a green vinyl top. SL6/TF, BBP manual discs. 8-1/4 rear with 3.23 SG. PS, AC, light package, insulation package, fuel minder. 3-speed wipers, electric washer. Good glass. trunk floor is out, so are the front pans. Underneath otherwise good. No body damage. SL6 runs and drives. Split bench interior, no center armrest. Needs complete interior rehab. No build sheet, tag is there. Cluster is nearly unusable. Paint is nice all over. Both BIG bumpers are nice.

Now you see why this is an intriguing choice. Similar, but different. The newer car needs less and is better equipped. The older car is more solid but damaged and incomplete. We aren't talking about a sit and home and write checks until it's done restoration. More along the lines of use whats there.

LOL...have fun.

Car #1. "No rot anywhere" Take the best of the two and put them together, get rid of the rest.

easy for me.. the scamp. i would never be interested in a 75 dart.. original options and build sheets mean nothing for those two cars.

1719226416858.png

1719226450189.png

Besides what was pointed out in the above posts, I hate those stick on side marker lights that came out in 72. The 70 & 71 lights are so much nicer looking being flush with the fender.

The 71 cause 75 cars are eh...the malaise era right? but seriously I like the older cars right down to the differences in the interiors. The later cars had more plastic in the door panels etc.

Wow never knew 75 cars where so hated by this crowd!
I'd probably go with the scamp because I already have a 75 swinger! But I wouldn't turn down another 75 swinger either! It makes me sad to see all the "beak" cars getting parted out and scraped just so ppl can put disk brakes on there "desired" 69 and 70 cars. I love everything about the beak cars. I love the taillights and rear bumpers I actually think the 70-73 taillights in the bumpers are ugly and an after thought it's like they designed the car and forgot to put the taillights in the drawing so they were just like he'll let's cut a hole in the bumper and put one there. The 75 grille is the best looking of the beak cars imo. To me the 75 is one if the best looking 2 door cars dodge ever made. Especially when done right.

-
Back