2 similar A-bodies...which would YOU build and why?

-
Isn’t the rear same on both? I’ve never liked that style when 70 Dart came out, put both up for sale and find a Duster (70-71-72) more tire room and shorter wheel base. Or the ultimate, the 67-69 Barracuda, you’ll never lose when time to sell!!
Saw today a 70 Dustee rolling chassis cage tubbed and Dana out back for $6500 on FB

Arrgh only 16 posts before the dreaded " Drop a 360 in it" rears it's ugly head
I don't remember seeing it ( though I only read the first page so far) but is the op limited to "can only build one"?

My car is a mess right now, I just swapped in a floor shift collar, manual steering, and a A230 3 speed by the knee. I still have a lot of work to do but I'm keeping the original slant but with a 2 barrel.

So many colors on parts from here, there and all over. LoL
I am having some trouble with 4 speed hump being that it came out of a 71 demon i parted.

View attachment 1716270131

Is that an Inland shifter? You want to have your shifter in the center of the oval. If that is the neutral position, the hump needs to be moved to the back and to the right towards center more.

Howdy:

I thought I'd post a topic that doesn't exactly have a certain answer...more along the lines of opinion gathering for the fun of it.

I have 2 A-bodies of the same style, different years. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. I will describe each without writing a book and you tell me why you "picked" one over the other and why. I'll attempt to keep the descriptions neutral. I like them both and will probably build both if I'm able.

Car #1
1971 Plymouth Scamp. B2 blue out, B2/B7 in. Had a black vinyl top. SL6/TF, 9" manual drums all around. 7.25 rear. PS, AC. Light package...no other options. 2-speed wipers, foot washer. Good glass. No rot ANYWHERE. Drivetrain is gone. RR quarter has tree damage. Hinges and strikers need work. Split bench interior without center armrest. Needs complete interior rehab. 2 build sheets and tag. Cluster is nice and in good shape. Paint is poor. Both bumpers are tweaked and the rear valance is rough.

Car #2
1975 Dart Swinger. F8 green out, F6/F8 in. Had a green vinyl top. SL6/TF, BBP manual discs. 8-1/4 rear with 3.23 SG. PS, AC, light package, insulation package, fuel minder. 3-speed wipers, electric washer. Good glass. trunk floor is out, so are the front pans. Underneath otherwise good. No body damage. SL6 runs and drives. Split bench interior, no center armrest. Needs complete interior rehab. No build sheet, tag is there. Cluster is nearly unusable. Paint is nice all over. Both BIG bumpers are nice.

Now you see why this is an intriguing choice. Similar, but different. The newer car needs less and is better equipped. The older car is more solid but damaged and incomplete. We aren't talking about a sit and home and write checks until it's done restoration. More along the lines of use whats there.

LOL...have fun.
NO BEAKS!

Wow never knew 75 cars where so hated by this crowd!
I'd probably go with the scamp because I already have a 75 swinger! But I wouldn't turn down another 75 swinger either! It makes me sad to see all the "beak" cars getting parted out and scraped just so ppl can put disk brakes on there "desired" 69 and 70 cars. I love everything about the beak cars. I love the taillights and rear bumpers I actually think the 70-73 taillights in the bumpers are ugly and an after thought it's like they designed the car and forgot to put the taillights in the drawing so they were just like he'll let's cut a hole in the bumper and put one there. The 75 grille is the best looking of the beak cars imo. To me the 75 is one if the best looking 2 door cars dodge ever made. Especially when done right.

Then change your name to Beakfreak75.
1719854736218.png

When all the 70-2 Dusters are all built, restored, make into restomods, (and priced like second gen, Chargers are today!),drag cars...then the beakers will be the next in model!!

If you think the beakers are hated, try owning a 62 Lancer Road Toad!!!! My wife loves them, and claims ours.. I would sell it, meet the buyer at 3 A.M./ for the sale... IF I could find a buyer! :rofl: :BangHead: :poke:

Yeah, I get just as many positive comments on my "new" '75 Swinger "beaker" as I do on any of my earlier cars... and I enjoy it just as much. Heck, even that is now a 50 year old car- when I started driving, a 50 year old car was Model T vintage...
Love 'em for what they are: the last of the breed.
1719865171854.jpeg

Yeah, I get just as many positive comments on my "new" '75 Swinger "beaker" as I do on any of my earlier cars... and I enjoy it just as much. Heck, even that is now a 50 year old car- when I started driving, a 50 year old car was Model T vintage...
Love 'em for what they are: the last of the breed.
View attachment 1716270466
yours also has the swinger emblems without the flower.

It was 1975, all that flower power bullshit must have been washed out and it was time to move on.

The "5 mph bumpers" is what harms the looks of those year cars not the beaker, IMHO. I have a 75 Hornet with the same bumper and filler piece thing and it hurts.

-
Back