2 Temperature sensors, on 360 intake?

-

Bronze Barracuda

Reaction score
So there are 2 sensor spots on the front of the intake. The small one on the right side is the temp sensor. What is the larger hole (finger pointing at it) on the left for? Perhaps a different style temp sensor?

PXL_20240620_015706503.jpg

Are you talking about that boss by the heater hose nipple? Looks like a bolt hole boss for an accessory bracket to me. You sure it goes through to water?

EDIT: Nevermind. My BLIND azz didn't see the temp sender. lol

Last edited:
That's a fan switch.
Ahh!
Thanks makes sense.
Strange the picture in the OP is a 1979 intake. The second one is a late 80's or early 90's intake.
Was there an option for an electric fan in 79?
Maybe for an A/C evap fan in 79?
I briefly read somewhere as I was nodding off last night about an air temp sensor. But that wouldn't make sense in a coolant passage!

Ahh!
Thanks makes sense.
Strange the picture in the OP is a 1979 intake. The second one is a late 80's or early 90's intake.
Was there an option for an electric fan in 79?
Maybe for an A/C evap fan in 79?
I briefly read somewhere as I was nodding off last night about an air temp sensor. But that wouldn't make sense in a coolant passage!
It could have easily been used for other things.

Usually it's for one of two different temperature controlled ported vacuum switches for EGR control. The second one would be in the top tank of the radiator. CCEGR or somesuch nonsense, was part of the whole Lean Burn thing with a feedback carb (Quadrajet, I believe) in the late 70s. Plug it or use it for the oversized temp senders that come with aftermarket gauges.
The pic in post 4 is the '88-'92 2 bbl. TBI manifold, that sensor is coolant temp input to the computer.

Last edited:
Usually it's for one of two different temperature controlled ported vacuum switches for EGR control. The second one would be in the top tank of the radiator. CCEGR or somesuch nonsense, was part of the whole Lean Burn thing with a feedback carb (Quadrajet, I believe) in the late 70s. Plug it or use it for the oversized temp senders that come with aftermarket gauges.
The pic in post 4 is the '88-'92 2 bbl. TBI manifold, that sensor is coolant temp input to the computer.
Like this here.
Thanks.

Screenshot_20240620-045008.png

-
Back