$2 "vinyl" top

-

bjkadron

Reaction score
My Duster Had a vinyl top that was mostly rotted off... So I took it off the rest of the way. But under the top looked bad. So I sanded it down and masked it off... And with 2 $0.98 cans of flat white spray paint I now have a presentable car! Let me know what you think! And I'll post more pictures soon. You can see more of the whole car and my other projects on the thread in my signature.

Before:

dusterstuff003.jpg

Masked up:

dusterstuff004.jpg

Painted:

dusterstuff006.jpg

Done:

dusterstuff008.jpg

Side view:

dusterstuff009.jpg

just remember the fiz can paint will wear off quickly. It does look better then a peeling top.

Good look for the short term, I have considered painting my last vinyl top car instead of reinstall but I sold it

looks good now, but after a week of road grime thats not going to wash off you might be sorry you painted it flat should of coated it with gloss, maybe you can spray some clear over it before it gets dirty?

The overspray is dry. Dusted right off... And it is only for the short term...
Hadn't thought about the road grime... I'll have to think about that.

The guy that Im working for has a chevelle that he is working on and he plans to use rhino liner for his top.

lol.. looks good.. my roof has been spray bombed for years.. every few years i touch it up and go. would like new vinyl but i know that will open a can of worms that i don't feel like addressing right now.

Clever short-term solution, BJK. Looks good.
Where is Sharps Chapel? I'm in Franklin.

Thanks! I just want it to look a little better and not rust while I drive it.
Sharps chapel is north of Knoxville. It is VERY very small.

The guy that Im working for has a chevelle that he is working on and he plans to use rhino liner for his top.

That would work... But I really don't like vinyl tops. I just didn't want it to rust where it was bare metal. And I figured white would be better than black come summertime!

lol.. looks good.. my roof has been spray bombed for years.. every few years i touch it up and go. would like new vinyl but i know that will open a can of worms that i don't feel like addressing right now.

It worked surprisingly well. though if I was doing it again I would make it a $3-4 dollar top and use a couple more cans for better coverage.

IT'L BUFF OUT! LOL!!!!8)

Actually it just brushed off... I knew by the time it floated over that far it would be dry and just settle like dust. So their was no reason to spend the extra time and hassle to tape it up farther.

Thanks again for looking!

Benjamin

-
Back