2000 Durango 5.9 4X4 no reverse

-

65_valiant

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy this vehicle, buddy of mine only wants 1000 for it. It drives and shifts just fine and makes a clunk/thud when you shift into reverse, but goes no where. Shifts through the forward gears just fine.

could be a broken band, strut, or servo piston.

Those trans are notorious for reverse issues. Typically the 46RE has a weak reverse band and that is what breaks. My 98' just broke one of the snap rings that holds the clutches in place and wont go in reverse either. All fwd gears were great. Id say drive it-check all the fwd gears and ensure OD works. If that checks then see if you have engine braking as you downshift manually with OD off. If you do, its most likely a revers band. Ill be tearing into mine in about a week for a rebuild. Hope that helps

Floyd

Those trans are notorious for reverse issues. Typically the 46RE has a weak reverse band and that is what breaks. My 98' just broke one of the snap rings that holds the clutches in place and wont go in reverse either. All fwd gears were great. Id say drive it-check all the fwd gears and ensure OD works. If that checks then see if you have engine braking as you downshift manually with OD off. If you do, its most likely a revers band. Ill be tearing into mine in about a week for a rebuild. Hope that helps

Floyd
if he has engine breaking in manual low then the rear band is working. if the snap ring in 0/d direct broke and unloaded the clutch that would give no reverse.

OK, to clarify...
I know for a fact that OD works, I drove it approimatly 30 miles home going upto 70-80 mph. I shifted down to 2nd and it slowed, shifted to 1st and nothing but a metallic "chingk"(best word i could think of to describe the sound)
I DID NOT turn the OD off at this point, and from what i've just read, i need to do this again with OD OFF. If I get engine breaking with OD OFF then it would be the snap ring??

Thank you for the comments so far, would REALLY rather not rebuild if I dont HAVE to, however the tranny got pretty damn hot on the way home due to being about a quart, maybe a bit less, low.

if he has engine breaking in manual low then the rear band is working. if the snap ring in 0/d direct broke and unloaded the clutch that would give no reverse.

Good catch. I meant if you had braking in low then the revers band is good. Mine is a perfect example. I have the piece of snap ring on my bench that i pulled out of the pan. Apologies if I confused anyone. I could actually feel the clutches try to engage and let loose in reverse. Im buying the manual this weekend and will be rebuilding the 46re over the next few weeks.

the o/d unit is not that hard to do, just keep all the parts seperate from the tranny. the worst part is taking apart the o/d direct drum which you will have to do to replace the bearing and plate. thats one mother of a spring in there!

No engine braking in low with OD OFF... so does this mean its the band and i'm looking at a complete rebuild?

the o/d on or off dosent make any differance for engine breaking in manual low. so, try this. put the shifter in second and start off with light throttle. when the tranny shifts to second, pull the lever into first. you should feel a bump almost right away and the car should start to slow down. if it freewheels, the band hasnt applied for reasons we talked about above.

-
Back