2001 dodge ram 4x4

-

mopar426

Reaction score
hey everyone i just bought a 2001 dodge 4x4 with a 5.9 off road package and i was woundering if anyone has had any experince with these trannys. when i first bought the truck i test drove it and sometimes it wouldnt go into drive but i bought it anyways cause i love these trucks and i no from 94 from 2001 they had problems with them. so i took it to my shop and i checked the fluid and it was low so i added some and i kinda fixed the prob with it not goin into drive but it still shifts hard and it squeals like a pig when you get on it so just for a quick and non $$ fix i was goin to do a tranny service and put in a bottle of lucas but wanted to get some ideas first what do you guys think?

thanks mopar 426

If it was ran low on trans. fluid it's a good possibility it's trashed. When you drop the pan you will see how much crap is in the bottom of the pan and that'll give you an idea. Make sure and adjust the band when you service it.

Shifting hard sounds like someone has installed a shift kit.

Oh yeah how does the trans. fluid smell? Stinky and burned?

i honestly doubt there is a shift kit their cause i had one in my 71 demon and it completly diff from that kind of **** and it was only like a quart low

You said adding the qt. of AFT made it shift into 3rd where-as is didn't shift into 3rd before adding the ATF so apparently it had some effect on it, don't you think? Just guessing on the shift kit cause those transmissions aren't known to shift hard at all. In fact every one I've drove was a slush box. The trans. in a 71 Demon is quite different. They shifted firmer back then and depending on what shift kit it had it could have been much more aggressive. Not all shift kits are the same. I don't claim to be an expert by any means but I have been rebuilding transmissions for nearly 30 yrs. so I'm not a newbie. Just giving my .02

ok thanks for the info wasnt tryin to be a dick or anything just thought what i thought

Give it a good flushing new filter and the correct oil. If the clutches are still ok maybe just maybe it will live. I have 2 2001 trucks and 1 2005. But sounds like the output seal leaks and some one installed the wrong OIL...

ok thanks for the info wasnt tryin to be a dick or anything just thought what i thought

No problem and sorry if I was cranky. I was coming off a bad migraine last eve. and I get cranky from the medicine.

Jensens mentioned wrong fluid. That can mess them up too. Those switches are pretty picky.

no big deal man i did notice some type of oil on the drive shaft but it looked to be an old stain so idk i would do the service tomorrow but there is a car show into so ill be workin that maybe ill get some pics if i can get a camera

-
Back