2002 Durango question

-

notenoughcash

Reaction score
Well, it IS a Dodge :) Picked up an 02 Durango SLT for dirt cheap to use as a tow vehicle a few times a year and as a backup vehicle if the DD needs work. Going thru everything today, put the trailer on it for the 1st time to check lights etc. and noticed no running lights lit on trailer, they worked fine last week when it was hauled to the house.

Started walking thru everything, got a friend over to check trailer plug etc while turning lights on etc. and noticed I suddenly have no headlights :shock:

Tail lights good, brake lights, turn signals, running lights, fog lights, power locks, remote unlock/lock all work. Googled and keep seeing the CTM being mentioned but usually there are all kinds of other goofy things going on like intermittent dash warning lights, flickering dome light. Anything I should look into before I drag the damn thing to the dealer ? I know the CTM controls all of that other stuff.

Thanks!

Start with fuses. Check all of them with a multimeter not just a visual check. Next would be to check the taillight wiring on the Dur.

Fuse take a crap?
I just went through everything on a 2000 durango. Just bulbs, new brake switch even replaced the high mount brake light housing. Turns out it was a damn fuse.

One more thing I just checked, if I try the high beams, they will come on if I pull the stalk forward but won't stay in HB mode if that matters. Checked the fuses with meter and will be checking the trailer plug but now I'm concerend about no low beams at all :(

Check all fuses. I had this same thing happen on my 00 Ram and after spending way to much on a headlight switch from the dealer it was a fuse.

Well, all the fuses checked good continuity with meter, not that it matters. Got a friend with alldata access, the headlights are controlled directly by the CTM in the drivers kick panel, no fuse or relay in the circuit. Only things inline are the headlight switch and the multi-function switch in the column for hi/low and wipers. Either way sucks. CTM ain't cheap and needs to be recoded to the keyless entry/alarm by dealer if replaced and if it's the multi in the column, well, I'm not screwing around with airbags. Dammit...and I need this thing working in 10 days.

View attachment 92808193.jpg

Just for the heck of it have you tried disconnecting the batteries for like 30 minutes to see if it might reset?

The trailer plug has nothing plugged into it and there is no corrosin showing inside of it?

Will be doing the battery tomorrow, it looks like i might get rain in a few and got errands to run. I pulled the trailer connector completely out and cleaned everything on the truck and trailer side just for giggles earlier. I'm hoping it'll fix, wasn't planning on dropping $$ on repairs 3 days after I get the damn thing....<sigh>

Check power in and out of the headlight switch. I bought my 99 Durango and the fog lights didn't work. Switch fixed it. I believe the turn signal stalk provides momentary power for high beams when you pull back for flashing. They would stay on high if they were receiving power but obviously aren't.

Solved...

1) Partially failed fuse, tested good with meter, pulled it, was partly fubar. No idea but replaced and trailer lights all worked

2) Pulled and cleaned all the connectors on CTM, replugged and ta-da!

Stupid wiring, thanks for the suggestions!

-
Back