2004 dakota transfer case.

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
looks like my transfer case took a dump should I rebuild it or look for another anyone have any experience with them ? 2004 4.7 auto 4 door .

Youtube is your friend on this type of issue. depending on whats wrong with it some of them can be repaired in the truck.

in 4wd the transfer case is crunching and the front shaft isn't moving sounds like the chain is jumping
it works great in 2wd

i'm thinkin now it's the cv joint on the front drive shaft slippin and crunchin I will get a better look tomorrow .

well the front ds looks near good as new I do believe it's the transfer case I guess I will pull the sob apart .

I assume you checked the half-shafts. But all-wheels up it should be easy to determine where the noise is coming from.
In any case T-cases are pretty simple, especially the older ones, which is all I'm familiar with. I still have a few parts for the old NP 203s and NP 205s.

the front ds does not turn when in 4wd it just crunches and slips even on ice .

the 4wd was never used very much and never abused find it strange that it went the last time I used it all was fine .

I would put bets on the incredibly tiny front differential before the transfer case

Not sure the good way to check that.....with no hubs to lock out. I guess you could pull the front shaft. Otherwise drain and pull the front diff cover

I would put bets on the incredibly tiny front differential before the transfer case

Not sure the good way to check that.....with no hubs to lock out. I guess you could pull the front shaft. Otherwise drain and pull the front diff cover
I thought that too, but he said the front driveshaft doesn't move

got a T CASE today with 60 thousand miles and the shift motor with a 18 month warranty for 300 bucks I thought that was a fair deal now I will go and change it .

got a T CASE today with 60 thousand miles and the shift motor with a 18 month warranty for 300 bucks I thought that was a fair deal now I will go and change it .

Wish to hell manufacturers would stop trying to fancy up stuff and just put a shift lever on the thing LOL. Good luck. No fun, that, for this old guy

Wish to hell manufacturers would stop trying to fancy up stuff and just put a shift lever on the thing LOL. Good luck. No fun, that, for this old guy

this t case is a 2001 and of course the plugs for the shift encoder are different so I need to put my encoder on it . the old t case came out fairly easy. now to put the new one in tonight .

she's all in I just need to put the drive shafts on and fill with oil I think I will also change the front and back diff oil and give her a good spray of green rust check .

-
Back