2004 truck 5.7 core

-

mischiefdart

Reaction score
I just replaced the motor in a 2004 ram 2500 and ended up with the core. It ran with no noises but smoked like a frieght train. I have not pulled it does to see what the issue is. Do these motors have problems with the heads cracking? Head gaskets? Was thinking about putting it in an early A-body like a 65 barracuda. I know it will be a lot of work. Was thinking a road racer/trans am type car. The bellhousing is mine and just put it on to see how well it fit.

20170517_125443.jpg

20170517_125452.jpg

The earlier hemis like yours did have an issue with dropping the valve seats. Dont remember all of them but it also contains many torque to yield bolts that should be replaced when it is taken apart.

Yes the early 5.7 did have head issues when over heated and dropped valves if the block is good just get a set if eagle heads for it. And drop it in your Abody. Well maybe not drop it in more like cram shift pull it out again put back in move pull out put in.............repeat

Yes the early 5.7 did have head issues when over heated and dropped valves if the block is good just get a set if eagle heads for it. And drop it in your Abody. Well maybe not drop it in more like cram shift pull it out again put back in move pull out put in.............repeat
I have lots of fabrication tools! Probably look more like an early Nascar horseshoe front subframe when finished. Definitely not enough room to get it in between the inner fenders on a first Gen A-body.

Well it dropped an intake valve seat. Number 8 piston is destroyed but the bore looks like it will clean up with a minor overbore. Guess I will be looking for some '09 or newer heads and other related parts. Good thing I got it cheap.

Well I found some parts on CL not too far from my house. The job went sour on the guy and he got stuck with the heads and other miscellaneous parts. The heads are rebuilt and he also had the coils for my motor and a piston and rod assembly. Also had pushrods and rocker shafts, valve covers, a can of hardware and a starter motor. All for $300 and a 100 mile round trip.

20170529_124115.jpg

20170529_124127.jpg

20170529_124213.jpg

20170529_124550.jpg

20170529_124524.jpg

I know the 2003-2005 trucks. I don't think the cars did. You are talking about bare aluminum not the black ones.

I know the 2003-2005 trucks. I don't think the cars did. You are talking about bare aluminum not the black ones.
All hemis until 2006 had aluminum covers. They look awesome wrinkle black, too.

03 5.7 hemi core 2.jpg
Looks like the OP and I are on similar Gen 3 paths... bought two 5.7's in the last week. One '04 with a hole in the block that still ran and one '03 'no start' and stuck.

Just accumulating parts at this point and may try to build a 650HP+ carb'd beater for my dirt late model.

View attachment 1715060449 Looks like the OP and I are on similar Gen 3 paths... bought two 5.7's in the last week. One '04 with a hole in the block that still ran and one '03 'no start' and stuck.

Just accumulating parts at this point and may try to build a 650HP+ carb'd beater for my dirt late model.
I would like to go fuel injected and turbo. I am a bit afraid of the heads dropping a seat if I make too much heat (aka horsepower) so will go stock for now. I will have a set of eagle heads redone by a good machine shop and have all the seats replaced to go big HP.

The valve seat problem is easily corrected... some shops install a slightly oversize OD seat and heat the head and cool the seat before they do the install. Some guys will 'stake' a new seat to create a tighter fit and some shops use a high temp anerobic like Loc-Tite to keep them in place.

Last edited:
Sweet! I hope it is in better condition that my $100 hemi was. I may be doing another job on a 2010 truck. Gonna swap out my busted 2004 pistons and heads for the Eagle parts on the core.
Busted block... gotta have a tossed rod. The good news is it still ran...

So I got a real nice set of Eagle heads with all the pushrods, rocker shaft assemblies, exhaust manifolds, valve covers, coils, pistons, and intake manifold last night. Pics later.

Looking good, but FYI, i highly doubt the pushrod length is going to remain the same after the head swap.
We have to put pushrods in our Hemi's just from a cam change.

and don't forget new head gaskets and bolts :)
09-15 Mopar Dodge New Standard Cylinder Head Gasket Left & Right w/ Bolts. OEM
I got all the pushrods all marked with location and top/bottom. The intakes are longer on the Eagle heads because they raised the port and rocker shaft. I was wondering about cams and aftermarket lifters with this being a positive stop system.

-
Back