2004R in 1964 A body

-

Mark Lewis

Reaction score
I have tried searching and can't seem to find any information. I am putting a 408 in my 64 Barracuda with a Reilly front and rear suspension kit. I would like to use a 200R4 from Extreme Automatics. US Car Tools sells the cross member kit for later A bodies but not early. Has anyone done this swap and could you tell me if you fabricated one and did you have to do any tunnel modifications?
Thank you in advance, Mark

I fabricated one for my 73 Sport project. Ended up having to modify it again when I ran the exhaust. But lots cheaper than buying one and then maybe modifying it anyway. Check out photos in my resto thread 73 Dart Sport project.

I have tried searching and can't seem to find any information. I am putting a 408 in my 64 Barracuda with a Reilly front and rear suspension kit. I would like to use a 200R4 from Extreme Automatics. US Car Tools sells the cross member kit for later A bodies but not early. Has anyone done this swap and could you tell me if you fabricated one and did you have to do any tunnel modifications?
Thank you in advance, Mark

I fab'd mine in my '68 convertible, and had to trim the vertical part of the torsion bar crossmember at the tunnel itself. I left the flat part that connects to the floor though, and boxed in the crossmember at the tunnel cuts. I then reinforced what remained by welding a 1/4" strap across the top of the floor to further box in the cross member.

I used a few pieces of steel to build the part of the cross member that bolts on and holds the rear transmission mount.

I also installed the full US Cartool chassis stiffening kit, and welded all the under car chassis structures directly to the floor pan.

Lonnie's Stage 2 200R4 combined with a 3800 rpm stall, lock-up torque converter is the best upgrade I ever put in the car. EFI was the next best. It's like having a 5 speed automatic when the converter locks up in 4th.

200R4 1.jpg

200R4 2.jpg

200R4 3 (Large).jpg

200R4 4.jpg

200R4 5.jpg

Early A body is the key here. The 67 and newer cars have more room.

The whole tunnel in an early A seems smaller. I had to use a BFH on the floor just to fit a 727 automatic in my 66 cuda years ago.

Wow! Very cool idea using a GM overdrive transmission in a older early A. After the restoration of my 66’ and how little room there is for the floor shifter linkage with the stock 904 and a v8 and dual exhaust, I will take a stab and honestly believe customs head pipes and a custom tunnel will be required to make fit. Early A-bodies are also narrower than a 68-76 pan. I measured 4” narrower between my Demon and Barracuda over all.
If you can make this work can you please do a write up about this as early A body owners would and really need this information.
Thanks in advance for asking the question.
Joe

Wow! Very cool idea using a GM overdrive transmission in a older early A. After the restoration of my 66’ and how little room there is for the floor shifter linkage with the stock 904 and a v8 and dual exhaust, I will take a stab and honestly believe customs head pipes and a custom tunnel will be required to make fit. Early A-bodies are also narrower than a 68-76 pan. I measured 4” narrower between my Demon and Barracuda over all.
If you can make this work can you please do a write up about this as early A body owners would and really need this information.
Thanks in advance for asking the question.
Joe

I got the transmission last week but still waiting on the engine which is supposed to ship next Friday. As soon as everything is ready to mock up the games will begin. I will be sure and post the progress.

Have to give Extreme Automatics a good word, they were extremely helpful with super fast shipping and it looks awesome.

This is probably a dumb question. Is the a 408 a built LA block or is it a GM as well as the 200R4? Thanks, Rob

This is probably a dumb question. Is the a 408 a built LA block or is it a GM as well as the 200R4? Thanks, Rob

My 408 is a 5.9 Magnum based build with Hughes internals. I did end up cutting the torsion bar cross member away from the actual tunnel portion of the floor. Before I cut it, I welded a 1/4" thick 3" wide 2 foot long strip of steel on top of the floor where the cross member is. I really had to heat that metal strip up cherry red and hammer on it hard to get it to bend to the shape of the tunnel before welding. I also made sure the welds penetrated into the cross member under the floor. The torsion bar sockets likely exert significant forces through the floor hoop, and the plate I welded on stabilized the area.

FWIW - here's what I did to reinforce the cross member in my 73 Sport to get the 200-4R to clear.
20180813_152535.jpg

My 408 is a 5.9 Magnum based build with Hughes internals. I did end up cutting the torsion bar cross member away from the actual tunnel portion of the floor. Before I cut it, I welded a 1/4" thick 3" wide 2 foot long strip of steel on top of the floor where the cross member is. I really had to heat that metal strip up cherry red and hammer on it hard to get it to bend to the shape of the tunnel before welding. I also made sure the welds penetrated into the cross member under the floor. The torsion bar sockets likely exert significant forces through the floor hoop, and the plate I welded on stabilized the area.
Thank You.

Yes it’s a 360 magnum with a 4” stroke.

Here is a picture of the way mine turned out. Had to modify the US CarTool mount and crossmember a lot to make it fit.
Did anyone else have to use spacers between the flex plate and converter? I ended up having about 3/32 worth.

A6C34D55-9749-4AC0-B9D3-3414ABB2F2D4.jpeg

E6FF3E61-EA17-4F29-A1D3-13FC2EB3A2B5.jpeg

74DAEADA-3018-4875-B095-0F0EE4B3D9B1.jpeg

-
Back