2005 5.9 Ram build.

-
I like these two pics.

20230515_190006.jpg

20230515_172713.jpg

1947 Dodge. I think it's the 3 ton but the owner says it's a 1.5 ton. It's been in the owners family it's entire life.

Its almost finished.

My behind a barn finds. 58 and 59 w300 and a d300 Power Giant Power Wagons. With clear titles for both. The 300 Power Giants used the D500 cab.

20230413_190530.jpg

20230413_190614.jpg

This all started when I parked the shop truck next to the 1947 "3 ton". The wheel base is the same as our 05 ram. I swear it's the same truck.

These folks been making the same truck forever.

It really is amazing how similar the two trucks are.

Be aware Rusty, you gotta build (weld) in some kind of footing for it to function like in the picture.

It even says in the Instructions not to mount it to the bed. "It must be mounted to the frame".

It comes with some half *** angle iron that you are suggested to use under the bed but I'm gonna build a true mount for it.

The system is nice but you have to be willing to "make it work" and make it nice.
Oh yeah. I have some 1/2" plate I had planned on welding to the top of the frame rail and then bolting the crane to that. Thanks!

Finally got some more work done on the Ram.

I bought a "topside tool box" from Byers. 72X13X16 (LXWXH) even with the box eating up bed space I'm still at 52 inches wide inside the bed due to how wide we built the flat bed originally.

20230523_124634.jpg

20230523_164425.jpg

Then I started thinking about all the Tweakers and how much they LOVE stealing tools and yes there is a special place in hell for tool theves!

So I decided to build me one of those fancy lock set ups I see on work trucks.

This is what I came up with. The 5/8s bar stops the handles from being able to swing out. Even if the asshat drills out the tool box locks they can not "open" the handle to twist it and un lock the box.

After that the 5/8s bar is still keeping the boxes shut. It's all grade 8 hardware and 1/4 plate. All the grade 8 bolts are backed up with 1/4 plate on the inside with fender washers.

If they want my tools, they gonna earn them.

20230530_123202.jpg

20230530_181656.jpg

20230530_181736.jpg

Gen 4 tow mirrors and cheap amazon grill.

I also got the Amazon black headlights that match the grill. (They came as a set /kit for 200 buck....) the headlights are not installed yet as I need to remove the bumper to get the lights out. I figure I'll wait to remove the heavy *** winch bumper until I'm ready to pull the entire front off.

Huh? Looks I just took the before pick. I will try and rem

20230526_111638.jpg

Boxed in what remains of the bed side, installed the backing for the diamond plate and reinstalled the tie down points.

I still need to cut off the old ladder handle (it Interferes with the tool box lock) and weld on the new one..

One thing that makes me said is the dang tool box is NOT square and it shows in the reveals between the box and my steel work. Most folks will never notice it but I do and any fabricators probably will too.

Oh well...

20230601_180245.jpg

20230601_180258.jpg

I spen the day building the crane mount and mod8fying the crane base. Hopefully by the end of tomorrow I will ha e the bed put back together but none of this kind of work ever is just easy...

I fitt the outer diamons plate piece and crane in (almost) full mock up.

I used 2x1/2 mild steel for the base, still gotta drill out the mounting holes.

Modified crane base. I raised the crane up 7 1/2 inches to clear the tool box.

I still need to build a cradle to land the crane boom in. I want to have the boom pinned in a cradle so it can't bounce around or just get stolen.
(The crane just lifts off the base)

20230602_135206.jpg

20230602_170539.jpg

20230602_170555.jpg

Spent some time on the bed crane. @RustyRatRod
I found a video on u tube of a guy that had done basically this exact mod. I just added the eyelet under the boom so I can lift in a "double back" configuration.

The HF hand winch SAYS its rated to 1,000 LBS. I never plan on testing that but the guy in the video I watched used this same crane / winch set up to lift his 5th wheel hitch into his bed. After seeing that I was sold. All I plan on using the with for is "light" stuff. Compressors, table saw, wheelbarrows and such. Anything heavier than that I will use the bottle jack and chain hook.

While I'm not in love with the look of the winch mounted on top of the crane boom, for how usefully I think it will be, I'm willing to sacrifice the clean line of the boom.

Next im gonna change out the quick pins with nylocks and bolts to slow down the theives. I also still need to build the boom cradle but I think that will be tomorrow.

No one pays me to work on my truck, gotta earm some money...

If anyone wants the HF SKUs or the video let me know. I think this vastly improves the usefulness of the HF bed crane. (But what do I know, I haven't even used it yet.)

20230606_121617.jpg

20230606_140945.jpg

20230606_141105.jpg

20230606_142515.jpg

That came out good if you ask me. Lemmie ask you.....do you have an air compressor on that truck? I ask because you could get an air over hydraulic cylinder for the crane and then only have to mash a button.

This is a really cool build..
I have an 06 Cummins 4by4 and it's pretty nice, rides like a dump truck, steering sucks assssss, and the damn a/c doesn't work. Other than that I love it.
One day id like to turn it into an overlander off-road big tire truck.. but after my dart is finished and my house is paid off

That came out good if you ask me. Lemmie ask you.....do you have an air compressor on that truck? I ask because you could get an air over hydraulic cylinder for the crane and then only have to mash a button.
I was planning on going air over hydraulic (our bender and picker run air) but the design of the bottle jack don't really accept the big conversion piece and I don't yet have on board air.

Some day when I install on board air I may revisit the crane design.

Thanks for the kind words

Bed crane and toolbox are mounted!

I ended up putting 1x 1/4 inch backing under the tool box so I could tack weld all the nuts to something. (The bed floor is aluminum diamond pate so no weding steel to that..)

Then I modified the HI-Lift mount and mounted the hi lift in the bed. The high lift is secured to the bed with a locking receiver hitch pin for anti theft (center) and held down with the twin spinner nuts.

I had to order 9/16-18 wheel locks off Amazon. O RILYS don't sell whell locks over 1/2"... I'm gonna hold off on mounting the spare tire until I have some way to lock it to the truck. I don't wanna loose a 1,000 dollar spare wheel and tire...

I'm SO close to being done with the bed. I still gotta make a front panel and I may make a rear diamond plate cover for the inside of the tail gate just so everything flows together. Still gotta build the cradle for the crane boom as well.

It never fails to amaze me just how dam long custom fab works takes.

Things I think will be done by lunch end up taking all day.. every dang time..

20230607_151658.jpg

20230607_151351.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a better pic of the bed crane. Yes, the crane will clear the puck lock on the tool box and swing out to the passenger side if needed. (That was just dumb luck tho. I didn't plan for that.)
I did have to mill a bit off the bottom of the puck lock so the one bolt head can resess into it but hey, who's counting. Right?

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

20230607_194157.jpg

20230607_194129.jpg

Lugnuts vs wheel locks?

I will use the locks on the spare tire and I'm undecided on I'd I should run one lock or two per wheel.

Do folks see much theft in trucks like this and how do you keep your wheel tire combo on your truck?

20230609_184639.jpg

-
Back