2005 5.9 Ram build.

-
I think these locks are best suited to holding my spare on. I don't want these holding a live wheel.

20230609_200230.jpg

20230609_202203.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to use the bed crane to "recover" the spare tire into the bed by my self.
The effort did reveal some flaws in my crane design but I think I can modify or work around most of them.

I used the hand winch in a double back lift and the load was almost nothing. I was quite surprised at how easy it lifted as this tire and wheel combo probability weighs 350 lbs+

All in all I'm happy with the crane and would do it again. (With a little more awareness as to how it functions.)

20230610_164202.jpg

20230610_164230.jpg

I cut the hand winch off and re attached it 6" forward. This gives me huge increase in the usable max vertical I can get while still rotating "around" the rear of the flat bed.

You've done a great job to that rig so far! Glad I came across this thread. Looking forward to more progress.

Anyone got the "Glow shift" brand gauges in their truck?

If so how do you like them, how long have you had them and any thing else you can offer would be great.

I looking at a 4 gauge A pillar kit.

#1 EGT ( up to 1,500 degrees)
#2 Trans temp (up to 260 degrees)
#3 oil pressure (I guess the factory oil gauge is actually fake. It's just wired to a 5 PSI on off switch and the ECM makes up a gaige reading determined by engine temp and RPM)
#4 I am undecided if Boost or fuel pressure would be more beneficial?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for all the time and advice.

Oh and here is the video on the factory oil "gauge" if anyone cares.

Anyone got the "Glow shift" brand gauges in their truck?

If so how do you like them, how long have you had them and any thing else you can offer would be great.

I looking at a 4 gauge A pillar kit.

#1 EGT ( up to 1,500 degrees)
#2 Trans temp (up to 260 degrees)
#3 oil pressure (I guess the factory oil gauge is actually fake. It's just wired to a 5 PSI on off switch and the ECM makes up a gaige reading determined by engine temp and RPM)
#4 I am undecided if Boost or fuel pressure would be more beneficial?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for all the time and advice.

Oh and here is the video on the factory oil "gauge" if anyone cares.

had them in a few vehicles
absolutely LOVE them
decent price, nice options

come to think of it, i have one of their tripple pods in my duster as we speak
not all of the gauges in there are glowshift, but the oil pressure gauge is, and i will tell you why...they are about the only company i could find that makes a 270 degree sweep oil PSI gauge (or perhaps that was only in my price range)

that gives me less PSI per degree, which translates into a more accurate read out

Still working on the flat bed.
Started putting the dash back in and dang it if I ain't so good that I got a lot of extra screws and one plug that I'm half *** sure don't do anything.

In the future I vow to mark all unused plugs as "not used" because dang it I can remember that, that one plug was not used...

Up date on the 5.9.

This is a little embarrassing but here goes.

I was told by my dad that he overheated the 5.9 and it puked all the fluids out.

I never checked it.

Fast forward to today and I pulling the front of the engine apart in preparation to pull the sucker out and rebuild. I start to notice the milkshake looks more pink than brown...

Now I'm thinking what the F. This looks like Trans fluid, not oil. Well yeah it's Trans fluid. The 5.9 uses a transmission heat exchanger that pre heats the Trans with engine coolent. This heat exchanger failed, mixing Trans fluid and engine coolant.

It turns out there is nothing wrong with the engine at all. It's a Trans and cooling system problem.

Now the real question is this.

Do I even bother to pull the engine and mess with it or just leave the engine alone and fix the Trans and cooling system?

The engine dose have 328,000 miles on it but the cost to pull it and rebuild it is quite a lot.

I got lots of bills to pay and a wedding coming up so money is tight.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for your time and advice.

I got a little boo boo while working as an added bonus.

I was trying to remove the window track on our international scout.

I was pulling hard with my hand inside the door and then the track decided to let go all at once.

Dang it.

20230628_172212.jpg

Kinda like your hand there, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

380k miles is substantial for most engine, but a diesel?

Not unheard off

Plus, if the engine has 380k on it, I'm guessing 80% of the rest of the truck does too, so if you rebuild the engine, are you obliging yourself to replace everything else on it in the near future?

If it is a diesel it's barely broke in. Close it back up and fix the transmission cooling line situation and drive it.
Looks like your sex life is going to slow down from the looks of that hand.

Kinda like your hand there, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

380k miles is substantial for most engine, but a diesel?

Not unheard off

Plus, if the engine has 380k on it, I'm guessing 80% of the rest of the truck does too, so if you rebuild the engine, are you obliging yourself to replace everything else on it in the near future?
In fact I think I am willing to replace dang near everything on this truck.

I'm done with cars and car building for a while. (But I can't NOT have a project at home) this truck will be my new babby and I will tinker on it as time allows

I will say this is just about the worst case scenario. The Trans was brand new when the "engine" failed. My plan was to replace the engine and have a "new" truck.

Now I'm spending almost half the money and I still have a truck (engine) with 300+ thousand miles on it.

I'm to far gone to stop now tho so it just is what it is.

So far I think my new plan is this.

Pull Trans and rebuild / have rebuilt.
Install coolent bypass
Replace radiator, (looks to have had a very small leak)
Replace Trans heat exchanger and engine oil heat exchanger.

Flush the Trans cooler and lines.

Install Hydro assist steering

Put everything back together and drive it while I save up for a new long block in a few years.

-
Back