2011-15 charger in the snow?

-
Winter driving ain't ****. Just gotta take it easier. In the older cars, put the shifter in 2nd, you started in 2nd, still that way? Don't know as my dd has the bs traction control in it now which takes the place of 2nd gear starts. Pick up's? Put some kitty litter/weight in the bed, or leave the snow in it. And what someone said about older cars being better because they didn't have all the gizmo's. Dead on, convenient yes, but more crap to go wrong years later. Just my shitty opinion....... LOL. Buy the car, and drive it wisely/smart. No problem in the end, you do have your family in it.

our 07 magnum (german car) was pretty damn good in the snow with the traction control and all (shame it was a pile of **** other ways..) . it did sit low though and i assume would suck in deeper snow conditions. so i don't see ya having a problem with a new charger (a fiat no matter how you want to spin it) in the snow except when it gets deep enough to drag bottom.

Winter driving ain't ****. Just gotta take it easier. In the older cars, put the shifter in 2nd, you started in 2nd, still that way? Don't know as my dd has the bs traction control in it now which takes the place of 2nd gear starts. Pick up's? Put some kitty litter/weight in the bed, or leave the snow in it. And what someone said about older cars being better because they didn't have all the gizmo's. Dead on, convenient yes, but more crap to go wrong years later. Just my shitty opinion....... LOL. Buy the car, and drive it wisely/smart. No problem in the end, you do have your family in it.

and that it is.. :)

Three thoughts,
1 Drive carefully on the snow like any other car, easy acceleration, easy braking.
2 if they were horrible in the snow, you wouldn't see police departments using them.
3 my dad had a 72 Firebird he never put winter tires on. Just drive it carefully. Get stuck on a hill, lay some tire chains behind the wheels, roll onto them strap them up, drive up the hill, and take them off. personally I would at least put snow tires on.

35-50k car, what's it worth once you drive it off the lot, how much value are you losing? I don't see real value in one unless it's really a limited number, like a hellcat (which made automobile history). I don't see much value for a continuos made modern car. Like my grandpa used to say "the simplicity of my old jalopy, will outlive the complexity of your new car".

Well, lets see...

I bought my '06 SRT for $43k new. Now, 10 years later it is worth $22k with 115k miles on it. It has kept just over half of it's original value. It has zero rust and runs like new.

My Uncle bought a 1969 Charger for $4200 in 1969 and 10 years later it was worth $1500 with 80k miles on it. Although well maintained, it had significant rust showing underneath. It kept only 36% of it's value.

The "simplicity of the car" didn't hold up as well just 10 years later compared to my modern Charger.

Further, the $4200 for the '69 Charger back then was more expensive by comparison to the $43,000 I paid in 2006 when you consider the cost of living index.

I own a very nice '69 Dart GTS and a very nice '06 Charger SRT...but I know the reality of each and how they compare to each other...both when new and later down the line.

Anyone who says that the modern Charger isn't a true Mopar in every sense simply has no idea of what they are talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_2652.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 131
Any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Lotsa luck getting "what any book" says it is worth.

Any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Lotsa luck getting "what any book" says it is worth.

Book?? WTF are you smoking?

Go check actual sales. That will show you what people are actually paying.

My father/mother use an 09 ish charger in the snow with nothing more then good all season tires and never had any issues over the years.
Fun to do some donuts

Book?? WTF are you smoking?

Go check actual sales. That will show you what people are actually paying.

I don't smoke. Anything. I was merely stating facts. I wasn't arguing with you in any way, shape form or fashion. I simply pretty much said the same thing you just did.

They are only worth what people are willing to pay. Since I don't want a 75% plastic cookie cutter over computerized car, I don't care what they are selling for.

All I did was make a true statement. It sounds like you are the one who wants to argue, and with yourself no less.

My father/mother use an 09 ish charger in the snow with nothing more then good all season tires and never had any issues over the years.
Fun to do some donuts

Exactly. All it takes for any vehicle in the snow is proper tires and the know how to drive in those conditions. The make of car is irrelevant.

Perfect timing!!! I was planning on buying a 2015 200 but was just thinkin today that I might get a 12-14 3.6 Charger instead since I like how they look better, it'd be roomier, more trunk space, similar mpg and 12-14s can be picked up cheaper than a 15 200. But I was wondering about the winter side of it but really the majority of the time it'd see snow/ice would be when we go on a trip in the winter, we normally don't get more that 6-8" of snow total in southern KY.

Smart man ;)

We picked up an 08 charger AND in the spring of '10 with 80k on it
Best
Winter
Vehicle
Ever

Smart man ;)

We picked up an 08 charger AND in the spring of '10 with 80k on it
Best
Winter
Vehicle
Ever

And. If we were going to say, pa or ny in the winter I could take my 02 4X4 Cummins. Sounds like I'm talkin myself into a charger!! Lol

Never got stuck in the snow with my 2 wheel drive Dakota, come to think of it I see very few cars stuck in snow period! Fwd, 4wd, AWD, traction control, anti lock brakes, ride hight, much improved tires, better pavement, better snow removal and pavement treatments all add up. On a side note the old chargers 07 through 11 or so my cop brother in law used did not hold up well compared to the newer explorers they have now or the old crown Vic's, said the suspentions were shot after about 50k

Well I guess we will find out the hard way. Worst case, I find some cheap steel winter rims and put some winter snow tires on them.

Good info, thank you. This will be my wife's daily, so wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be another garage queen in the winter, to park next to the dart and roadrunner for half the ohio year and look at my "wise purchase".

The 3k winter beater idea is nice in theory, until one month it needs tires...and then a throttle body, and then a set of balljoints...then you look at the car and realize it has 150k miles and never had a timing chain... im about finished making a "car payment" on her current beater every month. We have owned it outright for years which is great, and no one wants a car payment...but if im sinking money into a car, might as well be one with a warranty...and heated seats :)...and oh ya...a hemi lol

Your wife will hate it. BS any RWD car is "great" in the snow. Even my AWD heavy Aspen with aggressive tires is not great in the snow. My Subie Forester with studded snow tires IS great in the snow and my wife does better with a FWD Town and Country with new studded snows. When she used to have an AWD Grand Cherokee it still would get into oversteer although manageable. The FWD goes exactly where she points it and it very predictable on icy corners. A 400+hp RWD with limited ground clearance even with the best snow tires will at best be mediocre. The cops around here have trained drivers with the best tires money can buy on their Hemi Chargers and 1/2 the time they need to call in one of the Explorers or Tahoes to get up some of the country roads we have all winter.

Than again I live in the mountains of western Montana, maybe Ohio gets snow but it's probably much better with plows, deicer, and flat land. I also drive a RWD every day for work but it's chained up right now or it would take forever to get the job done. I would love a 4wd but they would rather buy me a $70 set of chains every week and replace the suspension parts all the time LOL!

Well, lets see...

I bought my '06 SRT for $43k new. Now, 10 years later it is worth $22k with 115k miles on it. It has kept just over half of it's original value. It has zero rust and runs like new.

My Uncle bought a 1969 Charger for $4200 in 1969 and 10 years later it was worth $1500 with 80k miles on it. Although well maintained, it had significant rust showing underneath. It kept only 36% of it's value.

The "simplicity of the car" didn't hold up as well just 10 years later compared to my modern Charger.

Further, the $4200 for the '69 Charger back then was more expensive by comparison to the $43,000 I paid in 2006 when you consider the cost of living index.

I own a very nice '69 Dart GTS and a very nice '06 Charger SRT...but I know the reality of each and how they compare to each other...both when new and later down the line.

Anyone who says that the modern Charger isn't a true Mopar in every sense simply has no idea of what they are talking about.

Worth 22k at 100k? Lol, you're crazy. Hey, hold on to it. Might be worth half a million dollars in future.

In the older cars, put the shifter in 2nd, you started in 2nd, still that way? Don't know as my dd has the bs traction control in it now which takes the place of 2nd gear starts. .

I thought it was only Fords that did that (my '66 & '68 stangs were like that for sure)...?

Only auto's I ever drove that did were Fords. Had A '64 T Bird that would go like a tank through snow.

-
Back