2013 Shelby GT500 gets 662 HP - beats Viper & Vette

-
Ford is winning the H.P. per Buck war by far.
In 06 when Chrysler came out with the SRT8 line, they had the edge in the bang for buck catagory, but Ford has by far taken over that market.

Sweet car, and some sweet horsepower and torque for sure. When it comes down to it, thats all it has going for it. And the only way it is making that kind of power is the blower bolted on top. The viper with its measly 640 horse would outrun that mustang on any road course it was put on. Plus the viper is waaayyyy better looking in my opinion. Lets see what happens when you top off that viper v10 with a blower. Mustang what?

Sweet car, and some sweet horsepower and torque for sure. When it comes down to it, thats all it has going for it. And the only way it is making that kind of power is the blower bolted on top. The viper with its measly 640 horse would outrun that mustang on any road course it was put on. Plus the viper is waaayyyy better looking in my opinion. Lets see what happens when you top off that viper v10 with a blower. Mustang what?

this is true but if you want to talk about handling then the new vette takes the cake. the ZR1 is about the best handling domestic sports car you can get your hands on. not that i would spend my money on any of the new muscle cars. i still think that for 80k+ you can build a car that will beat them all.

I'm really looking forward to a comparison test between the zr1 and viper. I honestly could care less about the belly button mustang.

And the only way it is making that kind of power is the blower bolted on top. The viper with its measly 640 horse would outrun that mustang on any road course it was put on. Plus the viper is waaayyyy better looking in my opinion. Lets see what happens when you top off that viper v10 with a blower. Mustang what?

Did you catch the part where the Mustang can be tuned to 1000 HP? Ford has aftermarket blowers that can bolt on and increase the HP... And still guaranteed for a year if done by a Ford dealer.

About the Viper not having a blower... Why haven't they done it yet? GM & Ford have had superchargers for years. When is Chrysler going to catch on and come out with some for the Viper, Charger, and Challenger??? And do it with a 5 year warranty...

Hell, the 5.0 Mustangs have 413 Horsepower now - without a blower. Their 'standard' v-6 has 300 HP in the Mustang. Not to mention that the GT500 Mustangs have had good enough fuel economy to not have a "gas guzzler" tax since 2011. Chrysler cannot do that with a measly 480 or 435 HP...

Back in the day, the Hemis ruled. Chrysler cannot live up to that now. They need to catch up.

As for the road course, I don't think that the Shelby GT500's would be that far behind the Voper and Vette. I find myself taking 35 MPH off ramps at 60 - 70 MPH in my son's 2011 GT500 without any problem. They stick pretty well and can take corners over 1 g....

dont kill me if im wrong but i heard that fords also have 2 different ignition keys for those and they give you different horsepower too?

I don't know if the 2 key thing. Carries over to the Shelby. I know the Boss302 had a RR model where one key would unlock the limiters and run on a different map in the computer. Saw a special on them on Speed last year.

My '68 Dart would kick it's butt in the 1/4. No blower either, just a cross-ram. Also, a new mustang won't turn my head, but a new Challenger will, big time.

Blah blah blah still a mustang ZR1 still the best in my book ford has to keep adding more and more performance to their engine to keep up but look who is staying ribht with them using good ole fashioned push rod engines :)

Are you kidding? The ford will keep up with the viper....if it ever hooks up. "Power without control is nothing" as my uncle used to say. And the Shelbys have never had control when it comes to putting the power down, except for the lower powered ones. And I'm pretty sure that the 2 keys are specific to the Boss 302 and 302 Laguna Seca editions of the mustang.

As to the comment on the hemi not keeping up. The new Challenger has an engine 36 CI smaller than the LS7. Yet it still only makes 30 less horsepower and the same amount of torque as that slightly larger motor. I think it's keeping up just fine. What they need to do is loose about 400 lbs. Which will be hard, but it's a necessity. They MUST do it. Handling, the Vette vs Viper the ZR1 and the ACR are about the same on the road courses. Right now I think the Viper is at 7:22 around the Nurburgring and the Vette is at 7:26. So yeah, the Viper leads in just about anything and if the conversations around here have said anything, it'll begin killing the C7 Vette in sales when the new generations of each are released as the viper has an interior light years ahead of the Vette.

Are you kidding? The ford will keep up with the viper....if it ever hooks up. "Power without control is nothing" as my uncle used to say. And the Shelbys have never had control when it comes to putting the power down, except for the lower powered ones. And I'm pretty sure that the 2 keys are specific to the Boss 302 and 302 Laguna Seca editions of the mustang.

My son has a 2011 GT500 and it hooks up just fine. They got some good tires on them that grip well. His is rated at 550 HP and will do 0 - 60 in 3.7 seconds.

I've heard of the two key thing. I think that is for valet parking so they don't get too carried away when parking it for you. I'm not sure what models have that.

at the end of the day, it's just another Mustang. Same reason I became a Mopar fan back when I was a little kid, Mustangs are like @$$holes, everybody has one. How many Vipers did you see yesterday? One? How many Mustangs did you see? 50?

My '68 Dart would kick it's butt in the 1/4. No blower either, just a cross-ram. Also, a new mustang won't turn my head, but a new Challenger will, big time.

On a side note:

Hey there mopartim, maybe I'll see you at the track this summer if and when they get something going over there. I'm over around Stockbridge.

i want one. i feel like waiting(if i could afford one) though because i talked to the shelby guys at the auto show and they said the super snake version will definately have even more power. they said they want it to have at least 750 but that if they can theyll bump it even higher. cant wait to see that.

Hell, the 5.0 Mustangs have 413 Horsepower now - without a blower. Their 'standard' v-6 has 300 HP in the Mustang. Not to mention that the GT500 Mustangs have had good enough fuel economy to not have a "gas guzzler" tax since 2011. Chrysler cannot do that with a measly 480 or 435 HP...

B.

That is what they claim. If so my little 340 is cranking out 500 HP, ha ha

Sure the supercharger helps but for the price I rather build an old Mopar

at the end of the day, it's just another Mustang. Same reason I became a Mopar fan back when I was a little kid, Mustangs are like @$$holes, everybody has one. How many Vipers did you see yesterday? One? How many Mustangs did you see? 50?

Yeah but everybody doesn't have supercharge Ford Shelby

Too bad they might built only 1,000 of them. Now if every V8 Mustang would have that engine, then it be really cool

It would be so cool, IMO...then the police couldn't figure out what Mustang you were in, ha ha.

Lots of good to be said about having a car you see 50 of everyday..least I would like it. My old ride is a one of a kind around here. If I went crazy they be waiting for me in my driveway, LOL

-
Back