2014 Ram 5.7 hemi issue.

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Need some help on diagnosing the noise coming from engine on idle. With engine idling , standing outside of truck, can hear what sounds like maybe a lifter/ rocker arm ticking real loud . Bring engine off idle and noise goes away. Has 150,*** miles on it ,still runs ok . Just looking for somethings to check. If a Mopar deal tech , or someone else has any ideas please chime in. Thanks in advance!
Al

Exhaust manifold leak, broken exhaust manifold studs due to warped exhaust manifolds both sides @60k miles.

IMG_0661.jpg

Last edited:
First thing I do is actually one of 2 things. When a noise comes from front of engine I drop the accessory drive belt and turn things by hand. If the noise seems to come from rear of engine I'll use a long tube funnel like a transmission funnel as stethoscope to narrow down the source area. This can work with accessories running under drive belt pressure but isn't exactly safe.
At your stated age and milage, if it hasn't already got a new water pump, its due, statistically speaking of course.

The boos drives it all the time. When I finally noticed it it was pretty loud. If you get under it you can usually figure out which side it is coming from because the heat shield will be a bit loose

2015 Ram 5.7 nasty exhaust manifold ticks due to broken studs. Replaced once, did it again. Replaced again, same thing happened in 20K miles. This time the exhaust manifold warped badly so the studs and the manifold on that side had to be replaced under warranty. 300,000 miles later everything is fine...

My 2018 2500 with the 6.4 - 130k and just noticed a broken stud…. Leaving it till it leaks. Did them on both my 2007 with 5.7.
NOT A FUN JOB. All work trucks

As you can see in my pic attached above, NO!!! Had to weld a nut to the studs on the left side. On the right side, there was enough stud protruding to get vise grips on it. 2 on the left front and 1 on the right front. Installed new exh manifolds as they warped about 1/8?

IMG_0660.jpg

Al, if your exhaust manifolds are the same as the ones I have laying out in the shop, you're welcome to them. They came off of a 2006 Dodge Magnum wagon that got crashed with 6K miles on it. I'll send you a pic later on when I go out to the shop.

-
Back