2020 Barrett-Jackson prices?

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Do the prices seem down this year...especially on the B Bodies? 2 - '70 Super Bees...$28k each???...'68 Road Runner...$28k?...'68 GTX...$26k????

It’s only the 2nd day. They always put the best stuff on prime time on Fri and Sat.

People will bid accordingly to the car's condition.
A lot of the cars on the first few days have problems with documentation, condition, etc. and don't go for premium prices due to that.
Also, the sellers pay a lower premium to get the cars through the auction on the earlier days.
Remember, the cars as they appear on stage probably aren't as good in real life as they look on T.V.
If you are shopping for a driver, the first few days will get you the best deal............
I've never been there before, but I know a few guys that have been, and that's what they told me how it works.

Damn that red '70 hemi cuda just sold for for $155k they said the owner had $286k in receipts..$131k loss..no thank you.

And yet an old Power Wagon truck on top of a 95 Dodge frame with a Cummins diesel goes for 190k. Nice truck and all but that is insane.

Restomods and trucks seem to be the new hot things. I think the old folks (like me) who appreciate the original cars are getting out of the market for two reasons: 1. Getting old and dying off. 2. Watching the market go down from #1 and selling to cut their losses.

The market going down if fine by me because I would like to buy a couple more, not to make money, but because I love the cars.

Man if prices are going down, I may actually get to afford a 68-70 B Body one day. Maybe lol.

Although seeing 70s-80s lifted pickups going for close to six figures blows my mind.

I wanted to buy the new first mid engine Vette serial # 001, but it sold for 3 million.
That's half of what I have in the bank, so I'm not cutting it that close no matter what..........

Did u see the Green Super Bird 440/6pack/4speed go for only $125,000 ! Wow what a gift ! Wish I had the $$$ !

I didn’t watch much, every time I turned it on there was a corvette, mustang or a Camaro on the block...boring....I enjoyed watching Mecum way more, there were good deals there but yes, some cars seemed to sell cheap...although way out of my budget!

I have been an auto enthusiast all my life. I don't look at a car as an investment. I buy and drive all of my cars as I love all of them. I say let those with the big checkbooks have their fun. The down side of their big check books is the average enthusiast trying to keep his passion alive and not going broke due to the overly inflated prices.

That '69 Coronet R/T for 27 grand on Sunday was a bargain IMHO.
It really makes me think about next year's prices............

i watched most of barrett-jackson. ALL "factory" restored muscle cars 64-71 have dropped dramatically in price. there's only about 5 cars that are still holding values from the last few years. all mopars even hemi 70 cudas and challengers have dropped probably $50k from a few years ago pricing. a 68 hemi 4sp "numbers matching" Roadrunner sold for $69k. that car would have been $110k plus three years ago. and there was the 440 69 Dart from Mr. Norm's that went for $41k! i thought that was amazing. people are now paying crazy prices for "resto-mod" old muscle cars which are only "original" in body only. and trucks are now bringing good money. it is clear that you can now buy a restored muscle car for the same price or cheaper than you can buy one and restore it. and, for those of us "senior citizens" who still love the old muscle cars, you can buy pretty much any of them now for between $25k-$50k. so instead of buying that 2020 Hellcat for $65k, you can go get your dream muscle car fully restored and have money left over.

I guess all the people with crazy priced classics on Ebay etc. are dreaming holding onto to prior market value. I never followed the market much but I have been looking for a friend recently and he gave up looking at those prices. I wonder what
they are really selling for, or if at all.

Complete speculation on my part, but it seems obvious what's changed in demand now from 15, 20, 25 years ago is that back then if you wanted to go faster than most American production cars (i.e. 400HP+) one of the easiest ways to do this was take an old muscle era car and build it up. They were exempt from modern (at the time) emissions regulations that new cars just weren't engineered for yet to get that kind of power. In 1995, the fastest Mustangs (Cobras) and Camaros (Z28s) produced 300HP (sadly no Mopar cars in those years, which is why I had a V8 Dakota). Today the base model V6's of these do that and more, the starter performance V8 models do 450HP+, and the top performance models are upwards of 600, 700, 800HP. On top of that, the cars handle and ride better than ever. So if younger (and rich) buyers love the classic look but want to have the performance and ride of today's muscle cars, it seems logical this is why resto-mod cars are now on the way up.

Just when I finally get enough money to fix up my car (getting older and more job experience = better pay), my 411HP 340 is now pretty standard lol. But still looks cool and you don't see everyday...

i watched most of barrett-jackson. ALL "factory" restored muscle cars 64-71 have dropped dramatically in price. there's only about 5 cars that are still holding values from the last few years. all mopars even hemi 70 cudas and challengers have dropped probably $50k from a few years ago pricing. a 68 hemi 4sp "numbers matching" Roadrunner sold for $69k. that car would have been $110k plus three years ago. and there was the 440 69 Dart from Mr. Norm's that went for $41k! i thought that was amazing. people are now paying crazy prices for "resto-mod" old muscle cars which are only "original" in body only. and trucks are now bringing good money. it is clear that you can now buy a restored muscle car for the same price or cheaper than you can buy one and restore it. and, for those of us "senior citizens" who still love the old muscle cars, you can buy pretty much any of them now for between $25k-$50k. so instead of buying that 2020 Hellcat for $65k, you can go get your dream muscle car fully restored and have money left over.

I agree with all this. I have followed this auction and previous ones, and been to BJ in vegas twice. I have 61 vette and 70 mach 1 along with the valiant so I keep an eye on those too as few A bodies cross the block. Boss 302s were going in the 50s, and C1 fuelies between 50-80 - and these were Friday cars. Big block B bodies under 50k, some well under. Its hard to tell on TV the condition of the cars but we know Friday cars are usually pretty good. Restomods and customs a different story but still not sure if the builders were ahead much with the amount of work gone into them.

Always the 'fad' customs going for stupid money and this year its broncos, early 70s chevy trucks, jimmies and power wagons. Previous years it was VW busses getting 6 figures.

Remember back when the first muscle car boom fell thru the floor, back in '91-2. I had several friends that were rally big flippers that told me it had busted, otherwise I had no clue. The Mopar mags, ie MA kept saying how so and so sold a big dog car for big bucks, I guess they were trying to help the in guys sell off their stuff before way too late. The market had already hit bottom but us little guys were late to the dance.
I had some cool stuff, but I as never in the in crowd, just a hick out in the sticks.
I think we will continue to see prices level off in coming years too. Let the restored RR get under $15000 again and IF you find a buildable project , then maybe just maybe it won't be advertised at $6000!!!!!

Just my personal unsophisticated opinion, but I have always thought the whole numbers matching thing is kind of meaningless. So what if you have a whole bunch of matching numbers that nobody can see? A Hemi Cuda is still a Hemi Cuda. Other than maybe the extreme low mileage original survivor cars, what real value does that add? I think that is one big thing folks are going to stop paying for.

I think A-bodies are moving up in value. Just the other day a 72 340 sold for 35,000, and a slant Duster with a claimed 7700 miles sold for 15,000 on ebay

I think A-bodies are moving up in value. Just the other day a 72 340 sold for 35,000, and a slant Duster with a claimed 7700 miles sold for 15,000 on ebay

It used to be if you wanted a classic Mopar and don't have tons of cash, B and E bodies are out. Same thing now probably, just the prices have all shifted up.

-
Back