2176 intake over 318 Head

-

1973_Scamp

Reaction score
Hello FABO
I finally got a chance to replace good old 2bbl with 4bbl intake. But when I dropped it it I learn that there is 2 open spaces as indicate in "RED ARROW". Is that normal or I had wrong intake? And are those plug holes "in Circle" are suppose to be perfect alignment or I have to make whatever adjustment? Any recommendations?

Thanks, FABO
73Scamp:violent1:

Attachments

• 2176 Manifold.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 347
Those open spaces are for the heat crossover.They will be ok left open.

Those are only air vents that keep the head from overheating. Without it the exhaust heat would cook the crap out of the valve cover gasket there.
Some have poked a filler of some sort there just to keep small carb parts from falling into them.

Yep, that's normal.
That little bit that you can see just above the manifold edge is the top of the crossover port.

How about the "Green Arrow" ? Are those suppose to be perfect alignment? I know I have not adjust the gasket yet. But those holes are not line up. Don't worry about thermostat, it's there to protect the distributor hole.

Thanks, FABO.
73Scamp

Attachments

• 2176 Manifold.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 337
How about the "Green Arrow" ? Are those suppose to be perfect alignment? I know I have not adjust the gasket yet. But those holes are not line up. Don't worry about thermostat, it's there to protect the distributor hole.

Thanks, FABO.
73Scamp

I usually set the gasket on the heads and then chk the port alignment of gasket to the head with the bolt holes lined up.
Also I chk the gasket with the intake by lining up the bolt holes on the intake.
Then I set the gaskets on the heads and set the intake on dry, then look at the gap between the block and the intake at the ends of the intake so I know how thick of a bead of silicone to use there. (No front or rear seals) just silicone.
I put a thin film of silicone on both sides of the gaskets around all the water ports, and a small dab where the heads and block meet where the intake gaskets sit.
Then the gaskets go on, and the front and rear beads for each end of the intake usually 1/4 - 3/8 or so tall bead and set the intake on quick as you can and line it up with a bolt on each side. (Try to set it on as straight as you can without sliding it around, as that will mess up your front and rear sealing bead of silicone)
Silicone the threads of all the bolts, and button it up.

Beware that sometimes the valve covers interfere with the intake seating, so chk that when you put it on dry.

This method has always worked really well for me, and there are ZERO oil damp area's around the intake.

If the threaded holes in the head are too low you could assume the heads had been milled so the intake would need milled also. If those hole only look a little high, the thickness of the gasket should get you there. Felpro printa-seal gaskets are fairly thick.

Got it. It was those two pins (front and rear of the block) did not allow the intake to seat properly. I just remove those 2 pins and everything fit at ease.

Thanks, FABO
73Scamp

Got it. It was those two pins (front and rear of the block) did not allow the intake to seat properly. I just remove those 2 pins and everything fit at ease.

Thanks, FABO
73Scamp

Since the pins are gone and a large bead of RTV there is recommended, if you'll clean out the holes and use enough RTV to fill the holes this will help anchor the bead. If there is oil or water in that hole when the RTV pushes down into it the oil or water comes out and curupts the seal.

A little tip. Place the intake on engine. Use a marker to outline the front and rear of intake so you know where to put RTV down. Watch out for the pass front corner, the edges there are sort of tricky regarding coverage.

Also, I don't have the photo anymore, but some manifolds are made in the front so that the front lip of the manifold creates a larger hole than you'd expect. You need a BIG bead of silicone front/ rear, and apply this, then IMMEDIATELY set the manifold in place and snug it down.

Take a towel, or your finger, and smooth the silicone bead front rear before it skins over. Take a light/ mirror, and inspect UP towards the bottom front of the manifold to be sure you have "a good bead."

i have the same intake on my 318. if you use the Mopar Performance valve covers , you will have to notch them above the runners as they hit the intake, unless you double up the VC gaskets, which i wont do.

Attachments

• valve cover.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 222
  • valve cover1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 231
-
Back