22 champion radiator and champion 16 inch single fan question

-

FJ5

Reaction score
Bought a 22 inch Champion radiator and the 16 inch single fan from champion as well. My problem is the radiator (CC526) fit with elongating three holes and drilling a forth finally fit. Only to discover the fan assembly with the shroud will not clear the water pump pulley by about an inch. Has anyone ran into this problem before. The fan and shroud is about 3.75 inch thick. The space between the pulley and rad is 2.75 in. What do I do now?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 550
The fix: I'm having a new shroud made that moves the fan all the way to the drivers side of the radiator. The one from champion has the fan directly in the center which hits the water pump pulley. Challengergary offered me a refund which I thought was totally awesome. But the new shroud was almost the same price as the return shipping, so I'll just get it done.

Well here is how I fixed my little clearance problem. For $54.00 I had a shroud made out of 1/8 in aluminum. Had to do a little trimming but now it fits like a glove.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 507
Just a thought because I ran into the same issue. I decided to use 2-10" fans offset in the corners. I still had overheating issues though because I didnt have enough open space for the air to move thru. You may have to cut openings on the right side of that shroud to allow more air to move thru the radiator.

Hoping you dont have to but just wanted to make you aware that its a possibility.

Just a thought because I ran into the same issue. I decided to use 2-10" fans offset in the corners. I still had overheating issues though because I didnt have enough open space for the air to move thru. You may have to cut openings on the right side of that shroud to allow more air to move thru the radiator.

Hoping you dont have to but just wanted to make you aware that its a possibility.

Thanks for the input. I'm getting ready to fab up the dash so I'll probably just drill out a nice pattern of holes 2 1/16 inch so I can use the same hole saw I use for the instrument panel.

Threads like this are a real lifesaver and they're why I come to this site time and time again.

Ran into this issue as well this weekend with the same exact combo. Not sure why I didn't think of simply offsetting the fan. Was thinking of just ordering a low profile fan but wasn't sure that'd give enough clearance. Can't say I've been too happy with Champion after all the issues I've had with this fan and shroud combo, should probably just shoot them an email at this point and see what they're willing to do for me.

... not the best pic..
There's six rubber flaps top and bottom to allow more air through while moving

IMAG0892.jpg

In the same dilemma with my car. Although not a Champion radiator and my fan and shroud is from Jegs. Glad this thread was resurrected, or I may not have found some useful info so quickly.

-
Back