225 Head Gasket Options

-

John Martin

Reaction score
I am redoing the head on my 225, again... This time I’m doing it myself. I have gotten the head totally redone, positive valve seals, hardened seats, sealing surface trued up, full cleaning and reconditioning the rockers.

I have a Fel-Pro gasket on there now, should I replace it with another Fel-Pro gasket or is there something better? I have read a lot about copper gaskets and it sounds like they are a huge PITA. I would like to run a steel shim gasket but I know those are hard to find, since they would be NOS if any are left.

Pick a target compression ratio, cc the head, and shave it with the idea of using a readily available FelPro composite gasket. I wouldn't bank on trying to get the hard to find steel shim gaskets.

Pick a target compression ratio, cc the head, and shave it with the idea of using a readily available FelPro composite gasket. I wouldn't bank on trying to get the hard to find steel shim gaskets.

Yeah, I would love to find a steel gasket but I am just wanting to get this thing done so I will likely use the Fel-Pro

If the deck surface is in good shape, the Felpros should work.
They are approx twice as thick as the original steel ones so you'll lose a little compression. Do you know how much was taken from the head?

If the deck surface is in good shape, the Felpros should work.
They are approx twice as thick as the original steel ones so you'll lose a little compression. Do you know how much was taken from the head?
I think .010” but I was told as little as possible to make the head straight and flat.

All the OE's I've taken off are .017" compressed, the Fel-Pro Print-o-seals are .039" compressed, most of the HP blue teflon coated & Graphoil types are ~ .042" compressed............over on the Slant 6 Forum there is a Member taking orders for MLS gaskets,.....pricey, but You wont get a better type of gasket................

All the OE's I've taken off are .017" compressed, the Fel-Pro Print-o-seals are .039" compressed, most of the HP blue teflon coated & Graphoil types are ~ .042" compressed............over on the Slant 6 Forum there is a Member taking orders for MLS gaskets,.....pricey, but You wont get a better type of gasket................
Do you happen to have a link handy?

-
Back