225/slant 6 exhaust bolts broken

-

70Dodge

Reaction score
I have two broken bolts and am waiting to have them repaired by our mechanic to the tune of $250.00. Is this a big job, or is it something my husband can do? The bolts, one on each end, are broken off and was told they cannot be drilled out, so it has to be completely taken apart. Sound right?

Are you talking about the studs that hold the exhaust manifold to the head or are you talking about the two bolts that attach the exhaust pipe to the bottom of the exhaust manifold? Either way, it does not cost $250 to repair them. If your hubby has a drill then he can go buy an extractor (little drill bit thing) and extract the broken studs/bolts himself. There are how-to videos on youtube that show how easy it can be done. Make sure there is plenty of lubricant sprayed on the broken bolts and let it soak overnight.

No, these are the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the engine. I think there about six in all. The ones on the ends have broken off and the exhaust is leaking, making the engine loud. The entire exhaust system is less than two years old and the car is stored indoors all winter. Thanks for your help. If he can fix his backhoe, I think he can do this! :)

Yeah it can be tough but its not impossible. It's definitely not a $250 job though. Go over to slantsix.org and do some research. You'll find some good information on how to do the job.

That's ridiculous. I could do it in 30 minutes with a mig welder and hand tools.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hubby has since told me that the manifold is cracked and needs to be replaced. And there's a gasket that needs to be replaced as well. I guess I didn't hear that part of the conversation. Pulling it out of the garage in the morning to take another look. We appreciate all the help!

Unfortunately, people ask >$100 for those exhaust manifolds. If you luck upon a slant in the junkyard, maybe $20. Might be an opportune time to put on after-market headers if you were ever considering that, but that takes time.

You will still need to remove the broken off studs. StrokerScamp mentions welding a piece to the end of the stud to allow removal. That is one way, but I have never tried. I have always drilled a hole in the center of a bolt. Getting it centered is the tough part. Drilling will be much easier with the manifolds out of the way. I suggest drilling it with ever larger bits until not much is left, but don't get into the threads. Then use a tap to take out the rest of the stud. You can try a screw extractor, but they can break off in the hole and cause a bigger headache. If you try that, get the best quality ones you can and drill the biggest hole for one you can. When you install the new studs, use thread sealant since I recall those penetrate into the water jacket. I like sticky "gasket sealant".

i have the same problem...same situation......Where do you get the replacement studs??

my manifold is good ...it just broke a stud off when i tried to take it off to replace it with a header...but after this ordeal im going to stay with the manifold but i have to address that broken stud still

-
Back