225 slant 6, exhaust manifold triangles

-

Chuck Clancy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here, very glad to have found this site. I have my grandparents 69 GT. it's pretty much stock. I'm taking the head off for a rebuild and noticed a couple of the triangular washers were MIA. I have done a lot of searching, but have been unsuccessful in finding some reasonably priced replacements. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Many thanks!

Welcome!
There is a procedure to follow when you bolt the intake and exhaust manifolds onto the head. Just cranking down on the nuts will lead to the exhaust manifold cracking. The center part is the only area that is stationary because of the conical washer. The triangular clamping washers allow the manifod to expand and contract. The hardware used is very specific and not every location uses a triangle. Brass washers are also used in a couple places. Try not to break off the studs which only lead to more work. The Remflex gasket is the best.

Think about getting the Doug Dutra book "Chrysler Slant Six Engines" Dr. Dodge knows his stuff.
ISBN 978-1-61325-432-5

Last edited:
Search for the post on how to orient the washers. They are opposite what most would think (conical sides out). I recall on slantsix.org site. If wrong, the exhaust manifold may crack and new ones are pricey.

-
Back