23 to 18 spline posible?

-

demon1515

Reaction score
This question is floating on my head for long time, and i havnt had it answered or have seen nobody asking it,

I got a 23 spline 833 out of a 383 68 b body car, and i really want to ask,

if is posible to conver this trany to a 18 spline unit whitout having to change anything but the input shaft and front bearing retainer?

I know some comes with diferent gear ratios,

but is there a company that makes the befie 18 spline to fit the 23 spline unit?

are the 23 spline internals and 18 spline internals the same exept for the gear ratios?

Thanks in advance!

No reason to do so at all. I haven't set down on a part-for-part basis, but I'm sure there's more difference than the shaft

as far as i know its just the bigger input staft/IBR/ front bearing... the cases are no different...

hi, the gear ratios are not same. the hemi gears are cut different. you have to install a complete hemi 18 spline gear set. cases are same.plus change the front bearing retainer for larger input shaft. also, change disc and throwout bearing.

Wayne Brewer can do it for ya for like 2000, I talked to him a few years ago and he basicallly said a 23 spline could handle just about anything a 18 could handle.

Sure it can be done, but why?

1. It would be ridiculously expensive.

2. 23 spline will hold up to all but the most extreme power levels.

OK so Basiclly i need the cluster gears and the whole gears with the imput shaft and bearing retainer in order to convert it to a stronger 18 spline unit, I was reading, and the mainshaft and output shaft are the same as well as the cluster gear shaft, the only output shaft that changes are the old short shaft A-body 833 trany that uses the small spline count output shaft like a 904 auto trany but the rest uses the same 30 spline 727 style one and newer short tailshaft A-body 833 also uses the 30 spline 727 style!

I will live this like that and use the 23 spline trany, if it fails then i figure something else, cuz if i need to spend 2000 in an upgrade i better save 2000 more and get a clutch assisted G-Force GR-5 or something in that range!

Seriously….. Your 8 3/4 will go before a 23 spline.

Unless you are putting out like 800hp+, I wouldn't give the 23 spline a second thought.

Lots of better places to spend $2000.

Seriously….. Your 8 3/4 will go before a 23 spline.

Unless you are putting out like 800hp+, I wouldn't give the 23 spline a second thought.

Lots of better places to spend $2000.
I know, thing is a got a Dana 60 and was thinking of Turbo my 440 later on and guestimate arround 850 to 900 hp. but i am giving a sh.,.t too much i better get to the river before trying to jump over it!

Spend your money on a clutch, billet flywheel and blow proof bellhousing.
I only broke one 23 spline input and it snapped the shaft at the case.
Splines are still perfect, makes a great clutch alignment tool that I still use.

Spend your money on a clutch, billet flywheel and blow proof bellhousing.
I only broke one 23 spline input and it snapped the shaft at the case.
Splines are still perfect, makes a great clutch alignment tool that I still use.
Got the blow proof bell the billet SFI flywheel and the clutch is on my wait to buy things, but i think i'll buy the sintered iron one or the ceramic puck one but in solid hub no spring hub for me, i like to slip it a litlle going out of the hole but not after that!

-
Back