255/70r15 Tires

-

limegreen70

Pokorny Enterprise's
Reaction score
Is anyone running those out back? I see 255/60s but i like a taller tire look. Dont know if that might be to much.

I had a pair on the back of a 67 Chevelle I had with a terribly hot 327, powerglide and 4.88 gears. They are TALL tires. Worked out good though. They were the old outline white letter Kelly Super Charger bias ply tires. It would incinerate them at will.

I think on most A bodies there will be interference with the fenders, especially at the front edge. The huge diameter plus the width will necessitate either serious fender reworking or a sky-high rear suspension.

255/65R15 is not readily available. Not even BFG makes that size. Tire Rack shows one Avon turbospeed tire in their catalog at $488 each, but even those are on backorder.

Is anyone running those out back? I see 255/60s but i like a taller tire look. Dont know if that might be to much.
I'm running 255/60/15 in the back on my 68 fastback, they don't rub at all. I'll try to get some pics to edit into this post after work today.

Picture #4, that is just dirt, not scarring from rubbing on anything.
Here's a link for the wheels I have.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usm-u10115805445

tiresize_smallpic_1.jpg

tiresize_smallpic_2.jpg

tiresize_smallpic_3.jpg

tiresize_smallpic_4.jpg

tiresize_smallpic_5.jpg

Last edited:
255/65s if i can find Them, mite be good. A taller tire is what im after.

Last edited:
I am running them on my 67 Coronet. They are kind of a pain to get in the wheel well but I like the height and width combo. It's actually the biggest tire I can fit that doesn't rub.

255's are a stretch on a Dart unless you've installed an offset spring kit. Some cars get away with it, some don't. And that's with much shorter 255's.

A 255/70/15 is 29.1" tall. On my '71 Dart there's only 14.5" from the center of the axle to the front bottom corner of the wheel opening. So, zero clearance, not accounting for movement with suspension travel. You'd have to move the axle back at least a 1/2".

255's are a stretch on a Dart unless you've installed an offset spring kit. Some cars get away with it, some don't. And that's with much shorter 255's.

A 255/70/15 is 29" tall. On my '71 Dart there's only 14.5" from the center of the axle to the front bottom corner of the wheel opening. So, zero clearance, not accounting for movement with suspension travel. You'd have to move the axle back at least a 1/2".
255s on 15 x 7s seem easy on A duster. That is what i want them on. I see some put 275s but that seems the Max. But they are 60 not 70s

255s on 15 x 7s seem easy on A duster. That is what i want them on. I see some put 275s but that seems the Max.

Oh I thought you were talking about your Dart. On a Duster 255's are easy, 275's fit with the stock spring locations. I have 295's on my duster, but that's with a 1/2" spring offset and a quarter lip trim.

But, the axle center to the front bottom corner of the quarter measurement is the same, 14.5". I just checked my duster, which is 15", but I have oval track springs which have a 1/2" longer front section. So the axle is moved back the 1/2" you'd need to move yours.

I'm running 255/60/15 in the back on my 68 fastback, they don't rub at all. I'll try to get some pics to edit into this post after work today.

Picture #4, that is just dirt, not scarring from rubbing on anything.
Here's a link for the wheels I have.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usm-u10115805445

View attachment 1714950723

View attachment 1714950724

View attachment 1714950725

View attachment 1714950726

View attachment 1714950727

Those tires are rubbing on the inside for sure. The rusty dirt and circular lines on the side walls tell the tail. I think they rub on the outside as well....same pattern and your nubs are bent back and have an angled wear on them. They rub on the inner wheel well as the suspension travels upwards. I know for a fact that the wheel well gets narrower at the top. You better take another look at that set up cause your in denial.

Those tires are rubbing on the inside for sure. The rusty dirt and circular lines on the side walls tell the tail. I think they rub on the outside as well....same pattern and your nubs are bent back and have an angled wear on them. They rub on the inner wheel well as the suspension travels upwards. I know for a fact that the wheel well gets narrower at the top. You better take another look at that set up cause your in denial.
Thanks for the heads-up I guess I spoke too soon.

people that haven't actually ran them like to say stuff that isn't necessarily accurate. the 255 70 15 is actually my tire size of choice. and they are relatively inexpensive. I've ran them on my duster and both my b bodies. it's a 70 series , not a 60 or 50 so it's not going to rub like the others. I've used them on 7 ,8 and 10 inch wheels.I have pics galore on my desktop at home. I actually can't stand the way a 50 series looks.

people that haven't actually ran them like to say stuff that isn't necessarily accurate. the 255 70 15 is actually my tire size of choice. and they are relatively inexpensive. I've ran them on my duster and both my b bodies. it's a 70 series , not a 60 or 50 so it's not going to rub like the others. I've used them on 7 ,8 and 10 inch wheels.I have pics galore on my desktop at home. I actually can't stand the way a 50 series looks.
Going to need pictures, Lance.

What you can run on a B body is completely irrelevant. On the '71 Satellite I've got there's enough room to run 295's all the way around with no modifications whatsoever. Maybe even 305's. You can't even compare the Dart body to the Duster body, as the Duster's can run 275's in the back with everything stock, most Dart's are lucky to fit 255's in the back.

As far as the Duster goes, it just depends on what springs you have. The axle needs to slide back a little compared to stock, but some of the SS and MP performance springs actually do that. And of course ride height make a HUGE difference.

Going to need pictures, Lance.

Yup.

you mean I'm going to have to fire up the desktop dinosaur lol ok gimme a few. this is the only one I can find of the duster wearing a 255/70/15 in the back . its on a 15x7steel wheel. the reason its sticking out some is because I had 1 inch thick wheel adapters converting it to big bolt. I have pics of my chargers with these tires but theres more than enough wheel well for them

d214.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back