26" radiator for a slant six?

-
Silly that people think a 26" wide radiator won't cool better just because the opening is 22" wide. The air doesn't have to go in a straight path. More surface area will allow more cooling. You may not need one in France, unless in the south. The radiator in my 1969 Dart slant boiled over several times and it had I think a larger radiator since factory AC. That was in Georgia, which rarely gets >95 F, so >110 F in CA/AZ would be worse. But, the problem was usually coolant loss from a split in the seam in the front middle. That plagued the earlier round-top radiators (my 1965 Newport split there too), but I think wasn't an issue in the later square-top type you show.

I know, right? I don't get that argument, either. Since the coolant moves through the radiator, it's gonna see air flow.

@BillGrissom, @RustyRatRod : Yes, this is also my opinion. The 22" opening size doesn't have any influence on a 26" wide rad. My current aftermarket rad is 26" wide, and the engine temp never exceeds 180° F, even stopped in traffic jam.
I just want to replace an aftermarket 26" rad with an original 26" Chrysler rad. :)

@BillGrissom, @RustyRatRod : Yes, this is also my opinion. The 22" opening size doesn't have any influence on a 26" wide rad. My current aftermarket rad is 26" wide, and the engine temp never exceeds 180° F, even stopped in traffic jam.
I just want to replace an aftermarket 26" rad with an original 26" Chrysler rad. :)

Yeah. You got the right idea! Although, depending on how that aluminum radiator is made, you might be backing up going to a copper brass.

The Chrysler rad is a 1971 model. So, copper made, no?

Copper/brass probably, yes. But that doesn't automatically mean "better". If they're a good one, aluminum radiators are normally more efficient because of their tube design. Two rows of 1.25" or 1.5" tubes are very efficient at cooling. More so than four rows of smaller tubes.

Copper is known to have a better heat dissipation than aluminium. It's why I have had always prefered copper radiators to aluminium ones.

Anyway, my current aftermarket rad is also copper made. So, the Chrysler rad won't be a technical upgrade.
Just an authenticity upgrade. :)

Last edited:
Copper is known to have a better heat dissipation than aluminium. It's why I have had always prefered copper radiators to aluminium ones.

Anyway, my current aftermarket rad is also copper made. So, the Chrysler rad won't be a technical upgrade.
Just an authenticity upgrade. :)

Well......IF it's all copper.....they're not. There've been many studies that show the mix of copper, brass and tin as well as the solder that solders everything together effect it in such a way that you're splittin hairs when comparing to aluminum. Throw in the FACT that the high efficiency aluminum radiators 2 rows of larger tubes cool at a MUCH higher rate and aluminum radiators beat copper/brass hands down. The automakers switched to aluminum years ago. It wasn't all about the money, either. Use what you want. I'm just giving you the facts. You say it won't get over 180 now "no matter what" I believe is what you said. I'll be damned if I would mess with that.

After I purchased this radiator, it turned out it wasn’t holding the pressure (defective core)

Today this OEM 26" radiator is back from the repair shop.
New core
New honeycomb
New paint
It cost me a kidney :p , but the radiator will be installed in my Demon within a couple of days.

20230612_153745.jpg

20230612_154313.jpg

François

Last edited:
It's done.
The 26" radiator and its fan shroud are in the car and cooling is just fine.
Due to the rad width and a lack of room, the horns are one above the other and not side by side

20230627_170911.jpg

I just added a non-original and homemade "caution fan" sticker for the fun :)

20230628_144001.jpg

-
Back