270 cam on stock springs

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
so i have a bone stock 318 in my w150 and im wanting to put a new cam in it can i retain stock valve springs with a 270 cam?

I would break the cam in on those springs--if the springs don't bind--no rotors on the exhaust.

But its going to need better springs to get the most out of that cam, your just going to float the valves after 5..5,500 rpm if your lucky. I would plan on popping the heads off and getting a valve job and new springs well if you pull the intake manifold off--you really don;t have to, I changed cams and lifters with the intake left on...

you know what, you need 360 heads milled and 4.10 gears and a 10 inch converter and LOL

check to make sure you have regular valve spring retainers and not rotators on the exhaust valves...the intake and exhaust valve spring retainers should like the same...if not ..i would get rid of the rotators..

will they work probably....but probably hit valve float with the old springs...

I wouldnt run a new cam with old springs ever, no matter how small the cam is. springs arent hard to change and you can get a new set for under $100

No. too much lift.... just because things "work".......... remember the spring is holding your valve from your piston.

Get the 260 Comp......... it will work better in your truck......

If your truck is an auto, it will be left from the light by your average garbage truck with the 270 cam.

I may have said this before, but before you go spending money on a mediocre off the shelf comp cam, you may want to call ISKY and get something taylored to your 318 power truck.......

IE, 220 duration, 440 lift, 106* or something like that.

Keep in mind, while it may work, to make it right, you wont be able to just install those springs and think you are in great shape.........

the game is, first install too big of a cam, then you get a converter, better gears, 3.55 ex and when the 318 block throws a rod, then you move up to a 340...i kind of did something like that, lol

i agree, cam is too big for stock

The truck already has 3.55's I bet.

The reason why I am so staunch and grouchy about it, was I used to be a dumb kid that overcammed everything for the first two or three years of playing with engines.....

comp cams 901 springs are for small blocks....they are a single spring with damper...

no machining to the seats is required..

so i have a bone stock 318 in my w150 and im wanting to put a new cam in it can i retain stock valve springs with a 270 cam?

FWIW we have been running a Comp XE268H in my sons 84 Pickup LA360 for two years now with all the stock valve train.....it was a fresh fleet rebuild we picked up on Ebay for cheap.....it has headers, weiand dual plane and edelbrock 600.....runs like a scalded dog for what it is :glasses2:

Rickster

-
Back