273 2v with EGR valve???

-
OK, I pulled one of the valve covers and this is what I found. #4027163
What does that tell us?

Thanks for the help,

Tom

At this point I wouild not assume you have a 273. Look at the number on the driver side front of the block immediately under the head parting line. First few digits (2nd,3rd, 4, or 345) should have the engine CID.

Tom, the Edelbrock Performer intake and a 600cfm Holley or Edelbrock carb will probably be the most readily available and cheapest used or new. If your going to buy new, i'd look at the 500cfm Eddy carb for what you're looking to do.

If you do go Edelbrock on the carb? Look into a small, 1/4" type isolating base gasket, as they really perform better without a lot of baseplate heat.

Thanks guys, I love this forum. Always lots of good information. It may be a while before I purchase a manifold and carb. I just sent a box full of small pieces to the chrome shop to have plated. I'm sending the dash plastic to a guy to vacuum plate next week and I still have to send the bumpers out to be plated. I have a pile of pieces at a guy's place to have all the dents taken out of and polish. My wife calls this thing a BOAT. (Bring Out Another Thousand). It will come together this year!! I hope.
Thanks again for the help.
Tom

Attachments

• dart with top 002 (Small).JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 117
  • dart with top 003 (Small).JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 106
  • dart with top 001 (Small).JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 101
My wife calls this thing a BOAT. (Bring Out Another Thousand).

LOL! That's a great line. :smile:

Man I just posted a few days ago that i'm really not a vert guy, but your car is sweet, and Black to boot. I may have to rethink my position, i love it. :thumleft: Keep us posted.

Well the block is in fact a 273. According to number on front of block. I bought a 340 manifold for $150. Probably going Holly since I have one on the shelf. I think it's a 380.
Found a place in Fairmont, GA called AMS Obsolete. This guy has 600 Mopars in his junk yard. Lots of Darts and Valiants. A few Cudas and a lot of "B" body stuff. He has a warehouse with over a million NOS parts. Incredible place! I bought both bumpers, rechromed, $325 ea., manifold, $150 and one piece of trim that I was missing, $68. He has several other things that I'm going to buy if he still has them when money is available. If you are needing something, call him (Mike). 706-337-4606.

Tom

Well the block is in fact a 273. According to number on front of block. I bought a 340 manifold for $150. Probably going Holly since I have one on the shelf. I think it's a 380.
Found a place in Fairmont, GA called AMS Obsolete. This guy has 600 Mopars in his junk yard. Lots of Darts and Valiants. A few Cudas and a lot of "B" body stuff. He has a warehouse with over a million NOS parts. Incredible place! I bought both bumpers, rechromed, $325 ea., manifold, $150 and one piece of trim that I was missing, $68. He has several other things that I'm going to buy if he still has them when money is available. If you are needing something, call him (Mike). 706-337-4606.

Tom

Tom, Just remember the 340 intake ports won't match the 318 head ports. The head ports are smaller. And you can't put larger 340 or 360 heads on a 273, without notching the block to clear the valves.

Tom

If it's a 273, and you've got 70's 318 heads on it, your compression ratio is low enough that you can run that thing on hair spray and not have it rattle. All 273 heads were closed chamber, all 68 through 85 318, are open. Keep that in mind before you start planning any other performance modifications.
Tony

I bet it's a whole different engine. Probably a later model 318.

EDIT. I posted this and missed where you said it IS a 273.

About the place in Fairmont. That's Frank Mitchell. I've dealt with him a few times. Never had a problem. He is however really high on some things. That said, it's usually old NOS stuff you caint find just anywhere. He has the stuff, no doubt about it.

If it's a 273, and you've got 70's 318 heads on it, your compression ratio is low enough that you can run that thing on hair spray and not have it rattle. All 273 heads were closed chamber, all 68 through 85 318, are open. Keep that in mind before you start planning any other performance modifications.
Tony

Tony...'68/'69 273 heads were open chambers...in fact, the same heads were used on the 318 in those years.

-
Back