273/318 rebuild advice

-

273 Commando

mooser's dad
Reaction score
Well the kid finally did it, he lost it and smacked the curb so hard he folded the front left wheel. While I'll be in possession of the Moose Mobile (74 Duster w/ 273 Commando) for a while fixing it, I thought of doing up a spare 1973 318 I have laying around. The 1965 273 Commando that's in the car has a bad head gasket and there's water in the oil. So here's my question...I have 2 good motors to work with, but I want to rebuild the 318 block with a budget Summit complete engine kit with pistons. Should I/can I use the steel crank and floating rods from the 273? And should I use the closed chamber 273 heads? I can take the adjustable valve gear and the fairly new Comp 270S solid cam (224 @.050, .468 lift) and roller chain set from the 273 also. The 273 has an Eddy Performer intake, Carter 625 Comp AFB, Heddman Headers, re-curved factory electronic ignition, so the right bolt ons are already present and working well. I think more inches on a budget would be the ticket. And yes, he's gotten the reprimand and lecture to go with it!!

The other option is just build the 318 as is with a mild hydraulic cam and buy a new chain set too. Cam selection is welcome here. CR projected to be 9-1, gear ratio is 3.21 with a 904 and stock converter.

Everything from the 273 will swap right on over, just one thing though.

I'm not exactly sure theres an issue with anything, but just check the rear of the cranks register. Make sure there the same.

Otherwise, I like the combo, nice parts selection. AND, speaking of which, when you order the kit, you can request a piston sub. AKA, different pistons like for example a set of KB Hyper-U's or even a forged slug if you want. There preety flexable and easy. Just lettem know your useing a floating rod so you get exactly what you need.

I am in the same boat, I have a 318 that needs a rebuild and have a set of smaller chamber heads - 67 Dart 273. I think the heads will bolt right on and give a little better compression. I know the forged steel crank will also work. But, I think I will use the 318 value train, do not want to adjust the values all the time. It will be nice to get the pistons up a little closer to the head for even better compression.

I am reusing the old flat top pistons, if you are going new, may want to talk with the shop for maybe a little taller piston, do not make it too tall, compression will be to high and you will have to run racing gas. Make sure to run unleaded valve seats, when u redo the heads.

Tell me how it turns out. My 318 is completely apart, I am still thinking about putting the cast crank back in it and selling the forged steel crank to pay for parts for the rebuild.

Good luck, Sam

-
Back