Not open for further replies.

GHOST RUSTERS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hello FABO! New member here and reaching out in hopes of finding an early four barrel intake manifold, 5/16 bolt diameter, for my dad’s 1965 Barracuda 273, currently stock with a 2 barrel stromberg bendix. I’m not particular to any specific make, thinking the Edelbrock D4B and the stock Mopar 4 barrel for example. I’m willing to drive for pickup or pay for any shipping costs of course if you’re willing to consider that option. Any and all help is greatly appreciated and thanks for welcoming me to the group!

IMG_8653.png

Just remember, that motor was made for a 2 barrel, unless you put a different exhaust and maybe cam it isnt going to run better with a large 4 barrel on it. Just don't go crazy on the carb

Just remember, that motor was made for a 2 barrel, unless you put a different exhaust and maybe cam it isnt going to run better with a large 4 barrel on it. Just don't go crazy on the carb
I appreciate that and yes you’re right, the plan is for a isky e4 or a racer brown cam and the exhaust will be adjusted accordingly. Will there be any issues with the transmission? Shifting? Rear end?
I’m not looking to hot rod whatsoever and I’ve got a great mentor walking me through this who has experience in the exact matter.

you'll need to modify your 2bbl linkage to run the 4bbl as well as the transmission kick down.
Good point! That was mentioned to me as well, is that a fairly doable process in doing so or major modifications and fabrication? Thanks!

Kind of looks like the intake mounting holes have been drilled out. Compare those holes to the coil mounting bracket hole.

The holes look drilled out to possibly 7/16 compared to the front AC bracket boss, which is 3/8. You're going to have to use fender washers on those bolts-sorry.

The holes look drilled out to possibly 7/16 compared to the front AC bracket boss, which is 3/8. You're going to have to use fender washers on those bolts-sorry.
Good observation. I’m not sure really all I can do is ask, if that’s the case is it still a worth while setup to allow me a 4 barrel?

There are intakes out there for the 64-64 273 cars. They can get a little pricey from time to time. The biggest problem is the shipping cost, especially for one of the cast iron units.

Here is a pic of the difference in the bolt angle that is the opposite of the situation you would have if you use a later intake on your 65 motor. This pic is of an Edelbrock D4B sitting on a 273 with later model 302 heads. If you used, say, and Edelbrock Performer on your 65 heads, the gap under the bolt head would be at the bottom instead of the top. I've read on here where guys have used what's called wedge washers or angle washers to equalize the gap, but have no clue where you could buy some.

IMG_1741.JPG

Here is a pic of the difference in the bolt angle that is the opposite of the situation you would have if you use a later intake on your 65 motor. This pic is of an Edelbrock D4B sitting on a 273 with later model 302 heads. If you used, say, and Edelbrock Performer on your 65 heads, the gap under the bolt head would be at the bottom instead of the top. I've read on here where guys have used what's called wedge washers or angle washers to equalize the gap, but have no clue where you could buy some.

View attachment 1716290096
Wow! That really puts it into perspective! Thank you so much for sharing! Right now I’m hoping to work out a deal on a factory Mopar 4 barrel from a member here but need to confirm that the bolt holes haven’t been drilled out first. If so than the seat continues for a 64/65 head 5/16 bolt 4 barrel manifold. Thanks again!

If the bolt holes are drilled, just add some 5/16" flat washers to help it seal correctly. I did that years back and no one knew the difference but me.

Wow! That really puts it into perspective! Thank you so much for sharing! Right now I’m hoping to work out a deal on a factory Mopar 4 barrel from a member here but need to confirm that the bolt holes haven’t been drilled out first. If so than the seat continues for a 64/65 head 5/16 bolt 4 barrel manifold. Thanks again!
@JDMopar I found your thread, moved it to the Fuel forum and made it a sticky. 64-65 273 intake wedge washers....where to get?

In addition to the intake, the correct throttle cable bracket is a must have.
Agreed! And I’m currently in the hunt looking for those components as well but I don’t know exactly what I am missing and or need. Any pointers maybe? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back