273 4-barrel pie tin.

-

Outsider

Reaction score
Anyone out there have a real Charger 273 4-barrel pie tin? I would love to see a pic.

I'll look. I have a photo allthough not a good one. toolman

Man I love your car. I just want to see how close the edges come to actually meeting. I think mine was trimed a bit. Mine is a little shabby, and I really don't want to use one of those stickers,

Sweet, how rare are those charger Motors and what were they? Is that something like the comando package?That is the first one I have seen, very cool.

Same as the Commando which was Plymouth. The Dodge version of the HP273 was the "Charger 273" I get a chuckle at the upper radiator hoses we put on our HP's. I think the crooked one in the last photo is correct .toolmanmike

That last upper hose is incorrect. That has a later thermostat housing. The white '65 motor has the correct housing and upper hose. The housing on the Charger 273 motors is the same piece as the '66 Hemi.
Toolman, if that is an actual metal tin on your air cleaner, then the ends DO meet, and mine has been cut shorter for some reason. Man I really don't want to use a sticker.

The air cleaner is one piece. (the chrome part) The base of course is separate and about 1" smaller diameter which provides the air gap. Because it doesn't have an air horn it is called "unsilenced" and because it is a one piece it doesn't have a "pie tin" top. Thanks for the t-stat and hose info. The valve cover breather and chrome pcv cap is also borrowed from 426 Hemi Mike

We may not be on the same page here. The "Charger 273" red thing in the center of the top of the chrome aircleaner is not a sticker...it is a metal disc that has the "Charger 273" printed on it. Now days everyone uses the repop sticker, but it is not a sticker. There is a Plymouth Commando one hanging on my pegboard in the lower right hand corner of this shifter pic.

Hurst'67.jpg

I see what you mean now. The ends do meet (or come very close to meeting) The original is metal and the replacement I got was metal and not a vinyl sticker.

You got a repop metal one? That is awesome...where if you don't mind my asking.

Mine has the sticker but you are right, the factory ones were an actual tin plate, not a decal. Also, the factory glued it to the chrome air cleaner.

Picture 954.jpg

yep, that glue thing went horribly wrong on my car. The people who owned my car raced it, and didn't care about asthetics. The tin must have started to come off, so they just ripped/cut it off. I got what was left of it in the trunk with the air cleaner and a bunch of other original parts. At least they kept the stuff. It is flat, but I think they cut it short because ther is about 3/4 of an inch missing...it doesn't meet. :sad10:

That's the photo we were looking for. I found mine on e-Bay but can't seem to locate one there now. Laysons has them but I don't know what they're made of. Correct. The original ones were metal and it looks like they were silk screened/painted. Good glue too, hard to remove without destroying them.

You got a repop metal one? That is awesome...where if you don't mind my asking.

There was a guy selling these re-popped on ebay a while back. Aluminum as original and silkscreened decal. They were $48.00 plus shipping. I opted out because of price and CAREFULLY pried my original off, cleaned off the surface with laquer thinner and straightened it. I used the sticker and reapplied it with my favorite glue, contact adhesive for formica countertops, and the results are as correct as I need it to be. Good luck, Geof

Here's an original, as-found, unrestored one.
THANKS for a great pic 72 Demon. That confirms my fear that my tin has been trimmed. ARGH! Now I need to get a good repop, or find an original.
Also that is a great shot of the correct '66 Valve cover breather and air cleaner.

The air cleaner with the hose to the valve cover breather is for
CAP (California Air package) I will look around for the vendor I got mine from.
Found one on E-bay !!!!!!!!!!!! Item number: 250376528236 toolman

The air cleaner with the hose to the valve cover breather is for
CAP (California Air package) I will look around for the vendor I got mine from.
Found one on E-bay !!!!!!!!!!!! Item number: 250376528236 toolman
Thanks toolman... Learn something new every day...I thought the feds required '66 cars to be built with the closed system, but it is '67 cars built for '68. Since my car is a LA built car, I of course have the closed system, and I never looked past that. THANKS for the heads up.

-
Back