273 4bbl dyno results

-
My build is sort of similar. Crower hydraulic with .427 lift and 264º duration (stock springs). .030 over with TRW hypereutetic pistons. Stock manifolds and carb. I have almost 90K on this combo, with 2.5" dual pipes. My recent freshen-up involved ported heads, but it hasn't made it back into the car yet.

Can you get TRW hypereutectic pistons for a 273?

Thanks for sharing. Surprisingly good results considering no extreme mods. Were you using the dual point dizzy or something else for the pull?

I am using Mopar perf. orange ignition unit and vacuum advanced elect. distributor.

I love that flat, wide torque curve Jarmo.. a decent rally engine.... just need to extend the top end RPM's a bit.

Thanks, nice thread.....it got my attention. Yeah, it's too bad you couldn't get your hands on an actual 273 head gasket set, steel shim even......

I wonder if a carb spacer would've done a little good too. I guess there's always 50 "what-ifs" possibilities when you're dyno-ing.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 261
For my carb, I have about 1/2" thick 4 bore spacer in use. And it works!

Head gasket is thing what is bothering me. Perhaps I will pick correct ones and change those, who knows. Anyway I am happy what I got out and it's nice to notice that you have been waiting those Dyno results.
What comes for Dyno test, I desided to leave my setup as base as it will be while I am using my Barracuda as a daily driver during the summer seasons. I drive approx 4000 miles per year.

I have been concentrating now for clutch, flywheel is now grinded, clutch forks adjusted and I am waiting for a new throwout bearing.

Attachments

• Vauhtipyörä.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 276
  • Bell housing.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 268
  • asetelma.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 261
Curious as to why you chose a finger/Long style pressure plate as opposed to a diaphragm/Borg & Beck style. My experience has been that the Long clutch is more difficult to feather/slip than the B & B is. The Long clutch will take more abuse and run a little cooler as a result.

Back in the day, cars doled out for members of the press to drive and evaluate routinely had Long clutches installed, regardless of what was put in the regular production vehicle. Usually if a heavy duty clutch could be ordered, it was a Long clutch.

If the car is to be a daily driver, I recommend the B & B. FWIW: I tend to be easy on clutch disks.

For my carb, I have about 1/2" thick 4 bore spacer in use. And it works!

Head gasket is thing what is bothering me. Perhaps I will pick correct ones and change those, who knows...

I would not sweat the head gasket. I used to rebuild 273's all the time. Never would I use the steel shim gaskets and did not like the OEM composites. Theoretical BS as far as I'm concerned. If your head surface is flat, Fel-Pro's will last forever and never leak fluids or compression. I've run them on all my 273's for decades. Zero problems. You are doing great for a what you have done. Leave the last .001 of a second for the racers.

The pressure plate looks like a 10 scalloped B & B to me.

Original 273, 4 bbl with std bore, original pistons, .010 over size fitted rings.
Comp Cam 20-221-3 with hydraulic lifters, std heads, Flow tech headers and original Carter 4294 S carb.

242Hp /5300rpm, 263lb-ft /4000rpm
wheres the graph?

I was often curious if Chrysler under rated the 273 HIPO HP

The factory cam was small. The only Dyno numbers I can remember on a 273 Commando I was involved with, was 265 HP with 2 barrel pistons, an Isky E-4 cam, and an Edelbrock 600 cfm AFB. I don't put much stock in Dyno numbers.

The factory cam was small. The only Dyno numbers I can remember on a 273 Commando I was involved with, was 265 HP with 2 barrel pistons, an Isky E-4 cam, and an Edelbrock 600 cfm AFB. I don't put much stock in Dyno numbers.
Are you familyour with D Darts

I wish I had the opportunity to dyno mine but the shop in town had been sold and the dyno wasn't set up in the new shop yet. If I were to ever pull it for any reason I would run it down and hook it up. Just to see. Curiosity more than anything.

I believe D Darts 273's were rated at 275 HP (like the 340).

Are you familyour with D Darts
Yes, the "D stock" darts were built for NHRA competition, but were basically un-competitive because of a certain Corvette package, and Chrysler dropped the program almost immediately as soon as it started.

Yes, the "D stock" darts were built for NHRA competition, but were basically un-competitive because of a certain Corvette package, and Chrysler dropped the program almost immediately as soon as it started.
Thats interesting ,what would the Corvette Package consist of .

-
Back