273 65 cuda fuel ?

-

jose65cuda

Reaction score
My 273 doesn't seem to be getting enough fuel. I do have see thru filter and looks like it barely spurts gas thru. I put in a new gas tank fuel line is clear and yes I did replace the fuel pump so am I missing something?

I'll guess,
Your fuel line is OEM, Filter horizontal and just before the carb. You can watch the filter fill to half way or better with fuel, then nearly empty before fuel begins to enter again. Repeating cycle that occurs only after the engine is warmed.
If I'm right, this can be cured. If I'm wrong, It's not the first time.

Yes it is horizontal and it doesn't get half full at all. Is there a lobe or ? that the fuel arm rides on? I was thinking on installing an electric fuel pump any suggestions?

I'll guess,
Your fuel line is OEM, Filter horizontal and just before the carb. You can watch the filter fill to half way or better with fuel, then nearly empty before fuel begins to enter again. Repeating cycle that occurs only after the engine is warmed.
If I'm right, this can be cured. If I'm wrong, It's not the first time.

There is a eccentric that operates the pump lever.
All I know about electric pumps is they are noisy.

Depending on how high the filter is. It's center line higher than the fuel level in the carb bowl, it might not fill even half way. Thing is, the filter is always full, with fuel in liquid form or fuel vapor and air.
When my filyer was backfilling with air in cycles as described before, I had to question where that air was coming from and why before I cured it.
Good luck with yours

Found the problem after countless headaches. I noticed a small gas leak between the fuel line and fuel pump. Well the gas hose was a little loose just enough for the fuel pump to suck in air instead of gas. I tighten the clamp a little and wow my filter got half way full plenty of gas now. Thanks for your response RedFish.

There is a eccentric that operates the pump lever.
All I know about electric pumps is they are noisy.

Depending on how high the filter is. It's center line higher than the fuel level in the carb bowl, it might not fill even half way. Thing is, the filter is always full, with fuel in liquid form or fuel vapor and air.
When my filyer was backfilling with air in cycles as described before, I had to question where that air was coming from and why before I cured it.
Good luck with yours

-
Back