273 adjustable rockers on a 360

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the adjustable rockers off of a 273 will fit a 360 head with no problem. I'm pretty sure they will but never tryied it and i wanna make sure before i buy them

also, you will want to upgrade to MP, or i think crane makes new adjusters with jambnuts. The stockers ive seen loose their setting/back off quite often.

so if i pull the rockers, and the rods every thing will switch right over. Also GoodyGotcha mentioned something about "MP". What exactly do u mean I'm assumeing your just talkin about the the way they lock and that i need to replace them with a better locking system. Also i just noticed that i have a set on another motor but if i remove them i would like to put something back on the 273 so will the stock non adjustable rocker work on the 273.

Joseph24251_200 said:
so if i pull the rockers, and the rods every thing will switch right over. Also GoodyGotcha mentioned something about "MP". What exactly do u mean I'm assumeing your just talkin about the the way they lock and that i need to replace them with a better locking system. Also i just noticed that i have a set on another motor but if i remove them i would like to put something back on the 273 so will the stock non adjustable rocker work on the 273.

Yes everything will crossover. I'm just one to put new pushrods on something rather than reused old ones myself. MP = Mopar Performance, they have a better lock design than the stockers. And as far as putting non-adj rockers on a 273, no that will not work. The 273 has a mechanical cam and needs to have adj rockers to set the valve lash. The non-adj are for hyd cams which the valve lash is taken care of, mostly, by the lifters. Given there is proper lifter pre-load on there.

I did exactly what you are wanting to do. I did have one dang rocker that I always had to adjust because of the adjusting screw being old and tired. I would put a new set of adjusting screws in. I used a set of cut to length push rods from comp cams in mine.

I used the Crane rockers. What we did was to use new shafts and put in banna grooves at the oil holes. Then we used Smith Brothers adjusters. That way I was assured that the adjusters were hardened. The adjuster tips from Crane have a history of being made of a soft material and will wear down in short preiod of time. If you want to check for hardeded tips run them across a file. if you get metal shavings the tips are too soft.

Quote: hi, I do my own banana grooving on my shafts. you need a very thin cut off wheel, about 2" dia, mounted on a air die grinder, very carefully cut a small groove. it doesn't need to be deep. use low air pressure so you can have control of tool. go out enough to cover most of rocker area, do not go past . the original rocker shafts, had an oil hole on the back side also. the original 273 rocker had no groove in them. the comp rockers do have a groove.
i've used this homemade grooved shaft on a 340, turning 7000 rpm, have never had gauling or spalling. after grooving shaft, take 400 grit and wd 40, sand the shafts.

-
Back